Why do guys seem to get back with their exes less than girls do?

This title is so hectic.

Ok basically, there were a lot of breakups around me during these past few months, including mine. And what I have noticed, is that actually when a girl breaks things off, she is more likely to get back with her ex than when the guy breaks up. Of course, we are talking about 'clean breakups', not involving cheating or any sort of abuse, just regular "it didn't work" or "we see things differently".

I am a fan of second chances, and I think if you're relationship was somehow serious, and somebody has made a mistake, understood what went wrong, and wants or did, in fact, change, you should try to give it another shot (if the feelings are still there).

I had a conversation recently with a friend, a guy who broke up with his gf about 6 months ago, and he told me he still had feelings for her (he didn't say he was in love but still) even though he is in another relationship right now, that he still cared about her, and that he actually saw change in her. Apparently when they see each other, they still have the same chemistry, she can make him laugh like no one can, they reminisce about their relationship, they hug, they sometimes flirt very sexually and so on.
OBVIOUSLY I asked him why he wouldn't consider getting back to her. And he said: "I was raised up like that. Once I make a decision, I am going to stick to it".

So is it really what it is? Is it just a question of ego?
Updates:
Let me rephrase the question:

When a guy breaks up, he rarely goes back to the relationship.
When a girl breaks up, she often gives, or at least considers giving a second chance.

WHY?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Because like me I had a girlfriend I loved but she ended it I guess you could say that were cool but I do care for her deeply if she needed anything I'd be more than happy to help. i just don't like to see her because we do the googly eye thing , we flirt openly and like you said with your friend the hugs are just different. But I don't know she left me so it's like I want her but I don't , what made you realize after you broke up with me that you wanted me back after you saw me move on? Or after you did and your new man wasn't as good as me or both but some males are willingly to work through the bad so when your gf that you didn't think would leave your just like tf lol so with me it's a lot of thoughts that rush through my mind do I want to go through that or just have a fresh start with someone else?

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Well if guys get back with their exes then that means their exes (females) get back with them so it is equal.

0|1
    0|0
    • Unless they are homosexual Relationships.

• Yeah but I'm assuming that she is talking about heterosexual relationships based on how she asked the question.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 4

• Men who are good with women usually don't sweat losing a girlfriend. It's reality. If he's a catch and confident then he can find more attractive women. Women are more concerned with a certain personality, and that's harder to find since you actually have to find that personality by talking. On top of that must women wait for the men to make a move.

0|0
    0|0
  • It is easier for a girl to find a sex partner for a guy. For a man to possibly not find someone else for a long time, he has to be very serious about getting rid of her. A woman however knows she can get laid that same night with 100% certainty. So if the relationship hits a tiny road bump she may break up with him. As a result guys that aren't sure how they feel, are likely to stay in a bad relationship longer until they are more certain about how they feel.

0|0
    0|0
  • Women are more likely to be confused and unsure how they feel. Men tend to know what they want and how they feel about someone.

0|0
    0|0
  • Mating kind of demands it.

0|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

Recommended myTakes