Getting over someone by hooking up with someone else?

I wake up every morning with him in my head. I'm generally happy when people are around but whenever I'm alone I just keep replaying random bits of intimate and cute memories with him in my mind. I feel sad and cry every other few days. I honestly don't know how to forget about him.
When Marshall is trying to get over his breakup with Lily in How I Met Your Mother, Barney says something like you have to overwrite your hard drive of Lily's boob images with boob images of other women in order to be over her. Is there any truth in this theory? I wonder if hooking up with other people would be a bad way to cope. Would it be helpful or would it cause another disaster?
Has anyone done it and how did it work out for you? I want to hear from both guys and girls. :)
Okay it seems you have a consensus that it's not going to help much... Thanks everyone!

22

Most Helpful Guy

• Hooking up is just hooking up if you really care about this guy hooking up with someone may be a good way to get your mind off things but it won't take your mind off him if its in your head that the purpose of hooking up with someone is to take your mind off him. Only way to get over him is for time to pass, for time heals all.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it's a bad way to cope. You may have sexual needs, or maybe it's coming from a "fuck you" place. Either way it's completely unsatisfying. A breakup is a really good opportunity to grow as a person. I know that sounds like BS, but I started volunteering, and connecting with old friends, and I became a better person than I was before. I also hooked up with someone and felt awful about it, went and found my friends having fun and realized I felt bad for missing out, which made me want to turn things around.