He told me he'd never get over me?

I broke up with my fiancé of 6 years saying I just wanted space and needed time since I felt I was losing myself. He always told me he couldn't imagine being with anyone else and begged me to take him back, also saying he'd wait for me since I just needed time.

But I found out two months later that he had started seeing someone, and someone that he used to talk about a lot when we were together. I know he didn't cheat on me, but for some reason I feel hurt about it.

Why do I feel this way? Especially as I am now with someone else and was the one who broke up the relationship in the first place. I'm confused.

42

Most Helpful Girl

• Fiance of 6 years? That alone would have been an eye opener for me. Usually people plan their wedding after proposal. But it seems as if he had no hopes of ever following through.
    BIG red sign for me.

You probably feel that because you wanted his original words to be true. You wanted him to wait for you. You wanted to feel as if you had significant importance in his life (whether you took him back or not). Instead he quickly moved on as if you and him never happened.
    Feeling as if you are easily forgotten would hurt anyone. Especially , when you spent six years of your life trying to build something meaningful.

• got together when I was 17. Engaged at 18 and things just never happened, as much as I wanted them too, he was never 'ready'. He kept saying he wanted to get a job and house first, but made no attempt at it even when I found places I wanted to live and asked to see and when he was working all the money he made would go on things for him rather than in saving for somewhere or the wedding. Then he went on holiday without even inviting me and I realised I weren't happy in the time he was away. I gave my everything to him and always sacrificed my wants and wishes (I wanted children, but he didn't). I felt like he never gave me anything in return, as if him just being with me was enough.

• Was that the best insult you could up with? Since you couldn't tag me three times don't bother responding? As lame as your answer.
      I could careless what you think.
      She was ready for something he wasn't which she explained to me.
      Him never going through with the marriage was a symbol of his commitment in their relationship.
      No one is being blamed.
      His actions are just being pointed out.
      Continue learning to read women... you have a ways to go !

• @zorro8888 I was a teenager when we got together, and my first love. Also neither of us wanted kids when I was 18. I was still thinking about things like education. I took the engagement seriously, but as the years passed there was no talk of marriage. With each step I attempted to make at moving forward in the relationship I just ended up being disappointed. He also expected me to make sacrifice, but make none himself. At the time I wanted it to work but after 6 years I was tired of waiting for him. My life was going by and all I was doing was trying to make him happy by making myself unhappy in the process. In the end I made the decision to break off the engagement since it wasn't going anywhere. What do you suggest I do otherwise?