Did I do the right thing?

My ex and the father of my son ended our relationship 3 months ago.
During this time he has told me he has been very depressed and stressed with his life etc and I have tried to be there for him even thou he was my ex I still love him, and deep down want our relationship to work out.
During the last 3 months it has been a roller coaster where he give me the impression we might be getting back together where he opens up emotionally to me, talk about the stress in his life and also hook up with me.
He then withdraws again not wanting to talk to me for days yet will talk to others during this time. Obviously I reached a point of feeling used and told him that I would always love him but can't keep excusing his behaviour, I wished him all the best and said I hope to hear from him soon but I won't be contacting him.
After I said this he hasn't attempted to contact me at all now I am wondering if I did the right thing knowing he feels the world is against him I don't want him to think I have turned my back on him but I had to accept I am his ex and he ended it so I shouldn't be there all the time for him.
Did I do the right thing or is he likely to just disappear and think I have turned on him too?

02