My ex texted me? Why would he text me? I don't know how to feel?

So my ex and I broke up a month ago and haven't talked in person since. I have texted him at least 3 times apologizing for whatever. I broke up with him but I regret it because he's not looking for a relationship right now. He's better single and oh yeah, we dated for 2 years. I haven't cried in about two weeks over him but when he texted me I couldn't stop letting my tears flow. I don't know why. I was fine, I'm trying my hard to get over him. He was my first love and I still have feelings for him but after he texted me I just feel sad again and all heart broken.
He texted me out of the blue asking me why I don't talk to him and I told him why would he want to talk to me? He said he wanted us to be cool and that I never know, we could have made something work and I didn't junderstand what he meant by that so I asked and he just wants to fix our friendship. So yeah, he said he wanted not to be "just friends" but to have a "strong friendship" with me. He also said he never wanted to lose me as a friend. He called me beautiful as in like "so what's new with you, Beautiful?" We talked just a little bit. No more than 20 texts between both of us.. I think I don't know. We talked a little about him going to college, he's a senior and he'll be leaving off to college soon. I asked him where he was going and he asked "lol will you miss me" and I replied "lol you wish. I'm kidding" we exchanged a couple more texts and he didn't reply to me and I was waiting for a reply but I gave up, he's not a slow texter and he's always on his phone do yeah.
I do and I don't want to be just friends. Like I said I still have feelings for him so it hurts that we can't be more. Oh also a couple of days after we broke up I asked if we'd get back together and his reply was what do you think? He sent another saying "I'm not saying we're not ever gonna get back together" but I broke up with him and he didn't want to get back with me when I begged him (I know I shouldn't have done that)
I broke up with him and he did not want to get back together. We broke up because he didn't care of we were in a relationship anymore but I made him not care because we would argue and I would get attitudes with him. He just got tired of it. But why would he want to talk to me, what do you guys think? My brother said he probably is just talking to me so we can start over and maybe work our way back to a relationship again. But I highly doubt that.
I chose to be friends with him now although it hurts because I do want him to be am part of my life still. He's a great guy and a very important person to me. I care a lot about him. I don't want to wait later on just because I still have feelings now. what if that opportunity to become friends never comes again in the future? I doubt there's a chance of us getting back together but what do you guys think?

34

Most Helpful Guy

• Because you have been together for two years, he loved you, and doesn't want to lose you. It sounds like he wants to see if a break up is the right decision, but doesn't want to toss away something that he had, and may never get back again.

This is a really hard one. You can remain friends, but that might wind up hurting one if not both. Or it can wind up you two realizing that you weren't better apart and everything ends happily ever after. What is beyond the next few months is something I don't think anyone can give answer to.

Most Helpful Girl

• Maybe he wants to be on good terms with you and make sure everything is OK before he goes to college. college is a new experience. keep your head up and try to move on. It seems like both of you got hurt and I think his way of dealing with it is to try to just stay friends and go from there. I think you should do what makes you most happy. Don't stay friends with him if it will hurt you too much. Being alone hurts too but it will hurt worse if you are friends with him but still have feelings for him and he doesn't feel the same way.

i hope all the best!