Why would an ex still have feelings for you but not want to get back together? How can I make him see that I'll change?

So my ex and I broke up and I believe he may have feelings for me still. He wanted to be really good friends with me and I said sure that sounds like a good idea but I said it only because I did not want to lose him, even if that meant remaining friends and I still wanted him to be a part of my life. So skip ahead a couple of days later and we were talking/texting and I told him you can't just be friends with someone you're still in love with and he asked me why am I even in love with him and I told him something like "guys get over girls a lot quicker than girls get over guys. Look at you, you were over me within a couple of days probably less" and his reply was "who said I was over you?" I told that to some friends and my mom and they're like aww he's not over you.
Could it be that he's hurt and I hurt him? I was the one who broke up with him but out of hurt. I know I shouldn't have done that. I broke up with him because he said he didn't care if we were together or not anymore but I now know that was out of hurt because he was having family problems at the time I guess. But I also would get attitudes and sort of take it out on him by ignoring him or not talking much when I wanted to be left alone. I told him I'd do anything to get back together again but he didn't want to and I wasn't just saying that to reel him in and hurt him again. I meant it. He's a good .. great boyfriend but he thinks he wasn't that good. He was the best ever.
We had a good strong relationship but I don't know what happened

We dated for about a good two years and had a really good relationship. We loved each other so much and he was really sweet. He wasn't a butthole or anything. We started off as really good friends and we liked each other a lot.

22

Most Helpful Guy

• He probably still likes you but he also thinks if u guys try again and fail he will lose you as a friend also. That's an amazing line by him lol

• I don't think we'd lose each other as friends. I just want him to see I want to make things better. I didn't and don't want to hurt him againagain and I know we messed up the first time but everything was always good before we broke up , it was just really sudden

• Ok tell him that

Most Helpful Girl

• Probably a situation of bad timing or he's dealing with some insecurities.
    You two are pretty young and being serious in a relationship may not be something he wants to do. There's probably other girls he's interested in. It's better that he broke up with you instead of cheating on you.

• That's true but he wasn't a cheating type. He wasn't a type of guy who wanted a relationship with me to test the ropes. He was 18 and had always been more mature. He was a serious type of guy yet sometimes liked to have fun. He also definitely wasn't a guy who was for sex. We did see more in each other than just holding hands and kissing and pictures. I liked the way he thought. He was very poetic so not wanting to be in a serious relationship most likely wasn'tthe problem. Though, we are young

• You are seeing everything from your point of view, trying seeing it from an 18 year old male's point of view. Talk to him & see what he has to say,