I found out on Facebook she started dating another guy. Should I stay friends with her?

Long story short, I talked to this girl I like for over 6 months but I didn't make any major moves (due to shyness and inexperience).

I found out on Facebook she started dating another guy (she didn't tell me about him) so I confronted her about it. She apologized, and confessed that she's liked me since we met in highschool 2 years ago. After we started talking she didn't think it was going anywhere, but she kept talking to me because she liked me in her life.

I confessed that I've liked her since we met 2 years ago too, apologized for taking things too slow, and said that I still like her and it obviously bothers me seeing her with someone else.

She said she would hate to lose me as a friend because she likes talking to me, but she doesn't want me to end up hating her or feeling miserable, so it is up to me whether we stay friends or not.

So, should we? I still kinda like her, and it hurts everytime I think about her being with someone else, but I honestly don't know if I can completely give her up. I feel attached to her, since we've talked everyday for over 6 months, and I somehow convinced myself we'd be together even though I was too scared to make a move. I enjoy talking to her too, but I've always had the intention of dating her, so I'm not sure how/if I can talk to her just as a friend

Any advice is appreciated.
  • Stay just friends
  • Cut her out of your life completely
  • I wanna see the results
    Vote C
I don't know why, but GaG changed the title of my question.

I'm not asking if I should stay friends with her on Facebook, I'm asking if I should remain friends with her in real life.

1522

Most Helpful Girl

• In a sticky situation as this one is here, dear, you Can in this case, have your cake and it too here, dear. What I mean by this, if you stay on FB as a friend indeed, you can also become a friend in need as well and Just-----Remain friends to the end, should this be meant to be.
    If you feel it isn't going to be a knife in your own heart when you know she is with someone else on FB, then be her friend. She has left the difficult decision entirely yup to you and who knows... where this might go with the other guy.
    For now, if you do decide to hang in there and stay on her Friend's list, keep it lite and semi sweet and stay in the chat box, and no harm in keeping your eyes and ears open while on this page and her profile, which is open to you to watch and observe.
    In the meantime, meet others and if it isn't Her in the end on Fb or even another, there are Others who are out there who are more available.
    Good luck. xx

Most Helpful Guy

• Like you said, it will hurt every time you see her with this other guy. You will always like her in a romantic way, not a friendly way. So being only friends will not work. You will never be happy simply waiting on the side-lines for someone that may never be available to you. Don't waste a bunch of time because this will prevent you from moving on. If you stay fixated on her you may miss another chance with someone else. I say to cut her loose and move on. Let this be a life lesson learned. Sorry, man. I've been there too!

• What this guy said. I wouldn't cut her out altogether but I would keep on stepping. If the door opens up later go for it. If not, so be it, I don't ever recommend putting life in a holding pattern. It's too short.

Don't avoid her and don't torture yourself. Don't let yourself be friend zoned either...