Why can't I move on?

My ex and I broke up nearly 2 months ago, after a month of dragging out the breakup process because my now ex lost his dad late last year and the reality of this situation only hit him this year! He suddenly lost himself, he kept telling me he wasn't the same person I met a year ago. After promising me days before he wasn't looking for anyone else and telling me he loved me, he went stone cold silent, literally heard nothing but found out he was on dating websites the day after he went silent.
After a month of nothing and sending the odd texts (and hearing nothing back), he sent me drunken abuse for being on the same dating website as him! He then sent a "fine... I'm sorry" apology later in the week after telling me he doesn't hate me, and that he doesn't remember sending me texts.

I then stupidly drunkenly called him last weekend, but he didn't answer, but did decide to start texting. A few days later he looked at my profile on the dating website but said nothing...

I know I'm at fault for not helping myself move on... but I can't help be overcome by fear of him moving on! I'd go to hell and high waters to get him back, and a little part of me hopes this isn't the end...

How do people manage to move on succesfully?

11