Why do men even bother fighting for child custody?

It's a well known fact that the society AND the law deems men unfit to be good parents for their children, and child custody almost always goes to the mother in case of a divorce.

So why should men even fight a battle which they are highly likely to lose, and in the process waste a lot of time, emotional energy and money (due to the lawyesr fees)? They might as well give up custody since they are 'supposedly' bad parents.

I welcome opinions from both men and women.

I see a lot of people here saying that the father getting child custody is not that rare anymore. I wonder why we hardly come across cases where this has happened, because it's almost always the mother who gets child custody.

1526

Most Helpful Girl

• That is changing in a lot of places, and fathers' rights societies are cropping up to support this. Not all, but many men over the years have been satisfied to share custody or give up custody in order to keep the peace. I think that the system has gotten used to deadbeats and just like a broken record, has been conditioned that the "normal" thing to do is give custody to the mother. The woman was seen as being a primary caregiver emotionally and able to devote her time to the child while the man worked. That's how it always used to be - but now with times changing, women working full time and men being more involved with their children, the system has yet to keep up with this shift.

Men should still fight for custody, but no parent should let their custody fight get in the way of what is ultimately right for the child. Just because one parent, whether it's the mother or father, thinks they should just have the child full time doesn't necessarily mean they should. Many factors are involved with choosing the full time home, and as long as either parent can prove they have stability and can give all the support and love the child needs, there is no reason not to keep trying. Unfortunately for the kids, a lot of couples just pull a child from their ex-partner simply because they don't want the other to have what they think is theirs and allow their own differences to get in the way of what they give the child. This sort of back and forth nonsense is not fighting for the child but rather fighting the ex for the goods to just win something over them. If a mother or father really does offer the better home, a court does recognize this. Many women are beginning to lose children to their ex-partners because it's starting to be realized now. You just need to find a Fathers Rights group in your area to give you support and advice on how to proceed without your child going through any more suffering.

Most Helpful Guy

• Its almost always the mother that gets custody? What rock have you been living under?

The mom or dad has both equal potential for child custody. Don't mistake an illegal immigrant mother who gives birth to a child in American soil situation, because nobody has the right to take a child away from its mother, but child custody is different.

Child support is not so tough on men nowadays. That check that the mom gets is for the child's "use", not for the mom's "use". Yup, women can no longer use that child support paycheck to get boobjobs or whatever neglient act they might do.

• Just not true where I am.

I saw some data for one Canadian province about two weeks ago. Where it went to court with no agreement, the end result was something like sole custody to the mother 83%, joint 15% and sole father 2%.

I'm also not aware of any rule changes here regarding where the money goes.

• If it's a 50/50 split there is no child support given by either parent. On average if a parent has to pay child support it's based on their earnings and anywhere from $150-$400 a month (based on an average income), hardly what it takes to raise kids.

I disagree with you @kheserthorpe I am in the law feild and I'm also Canadian. I have studied law and know the courts will not give the mother rights just because she's the mother. I've also been witnessed a few custody battles, all resulted in 50/50, one week with dad, one week with mom, no child support given to either parent.