Is it weird to feel kind of excited about just getting fired?

I've been increasingly miserable in a high-ish paying job over the past few months. I just got terminated this morning with severance and have money saved so honestly I was worried that the meeting my boss came from put of town was just going to be a 'we need to talk'.

I was considering resigning by the end of the week if they didn't lay me off. I have been looking for other work and all of that when I had the time but I was working long hours.

I'm honestly relieved to have some much need time off to breathe, focus on myself and have the time to put a real effort into finding a job that will be more satisfying longterm.

Has anyone else been in this situation? I'm sure if I still don't have any prospects a few months from now I'll be singing a different tune

But right now I'm just taking in the glory that this will be my first time taking more than a week off in my whole adult working career.

37

Most Helpful Girl

• The exact same thing happened to me 2 years back. Honestly it was the best thing that happened. I was working at a less stressful job in less then a week. Actually I had 3 job offers in that time.

• Hugs, thanks for sharing! I appreciate the feedback from a gal in my same age group.

They (former bosses) did mention that they thought I would be contact by some competitors but that since I'm contracted/ getting paid and still considered an employee through the end of the month I'm limited on what type of communication I can have with them. I assured them I wouldn't be moving to a similar role and they said they thought I had plenty of room to move around the other parts of the industry. But you always do wonder a little when stepping out there and want to make sure your next place is a better fit and not jump on the first offer.

• Thanks for M H.

What Guys Said 7

• you are lucky most people dont have the balls actually give up on a high paying job even though it makes them miserable
    take this as a sign and do what you love

• Thanks... high paying but, high stress and really no chance for advancement beyond where I was. So I could continue on making 6 digit income with little satisfaction and the rest of my life would suffer. Most of the women making more than me and were older than me had to make huge sacrifices in other parts of their lives...

But like @vjreejr said the more I came to realize I didn't want to do that kind of work forever... the harder it was to be there, then it got hard to drive in AND finally it started making me enjoy my weekends less due to the impending reality that I had to return on Monday.

Interesting that no woman shared in this sentiment?

• well congrats you are out of that hell hole
      now focus on your future and do something worthwhile
      by the way 6 figures lol damn girl

• Not at all. In 2005 I was in a job that I hated so much that I was nauseous going to work. I couldnt quit coz i was unemployed for 2 years and we needed the money. Fortunately, i got "fired"; my 6 month probation was up and they devided not to retain me. I was relieved beyond belief.

• I was never fired, but certain jobs that were very stressful... I actually felt like a huge weight was lift off my shoulders when I left.

• Not at all. Why show up to some place you don't want to work when you don't have to?

• Yeah, it's nice sometimes to take a forced vacation.

• I thought I was getting fired a couple of months back, I was pretty accepting of it and wasn't worried too much about it... kind of looked forward to having some time off.

• That is awesome! Know your self worth and that your future holds bigger and better things.

What Girls Said 2

• I have a cousin whom just got 'Canned' from his job.. in fact 2 of his jobs. The first one he had worked for was a Government job and after ten years, he was laid off. The company just recently sold out and he never even bothers to go for unemployment.
    The second job he took on was workin gin a pet shop, helping to groom dogs. It's a shop that was owned by some long term friends but unfortunately they just sold out and was left with no job. This job he couldn't go for unemployment anyway because it was off the books.
    Now he is finding himself in a bad way. He hasn't got any savings together nor is even bothering to look for any work because all he wants is Off the book work and That is very hard to find. I am totally Disgusted with him and every day I just see him sit at his computer, I want to pound some sense into his Genius head, which by the way... he is.
    My other cousin, who is his younger bro, is someone whom I am close with. We are making some plans with moving out and back to PA, where he has a CDL licence and got a really good job driving tractor trailer again, and I have a Home Health Aid job lined up for myself.
    You appear to have it altogether her, dear. Bravo for your good fortune. I you were not Happy to begin with this job, then money couldn't buy happiness.
    Of course now, with all of your hard work and effort you put into this job, it actually paid off. You can relax, take your time in finding something to make you smile, and even if it isn't the kind of money you were used to, maybe this time around, you can be Happy in doing it.
    Good luck and take your time. xxoo

• Well congratulations, I can only wish for me tho ;)