How long after a breakup should you wait before you date again?

As most of you know, my boyfriend broke up with me on Monday. I'm letting go of any chance of us ever getting back together, and I just want to move on. We dated for two years. But is it okay if I go ahead and make a dating profile? I feel like I just need to get my confidence back and go on a few dates with some new guys. The relationship wasn't good for a while, so I feel like I've already mourned it a little. Is this too soon? Is this direspectful?

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm so sorry to hear that. I've read your last question, I didn't opine on that because I knew that he's going to ditch you. I want you to feel that pain so I didn't post any sugarcoated opinion there. Now, you realised that what he is, what his real intentions are. Now it'll help you to forget him and move on.
    It's good to hear that you're thinking about dating another guy.

There is not any specific time that how long you should wait after break up to find next date. Some people don't rush towards another partner. They focus on making their life stable. They seek to ameliorate the bad sectors of their life. What were their flaws to rectify them and when they feel settled, the try to find a new partner.

But in your case, you are ready for next partner. In fact, you need one to boost yourself. So why not to start now. Yes, why wait? The more you will wait, the more and more miserable you will become because you'll force yourself and end up up in a turmoil.

I don't know if dating sites work or not. I've seen only bad reviews. If you are confident about this then certainly, you should try. You're a strong woman and you can do it.

There is never too soon. The thing you wanna do tomorrow, do it today. The thing you wanna do today, do it now!

Good luck :)

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Thanks. I'm starting to feel better, but at the same time, the longer I go without talking to him, the harder it is. It's hard when you go two years talking to someone everyday, and then it just stops. It almost feels like someone died. But died to get away from me.

• Yes I can understand that's why I'm saying you to find a new man so that he'd better help you to boost your morale and he would really compensate your loss. You would realise that you were lucky that you lost him at the right time. What if he ditched you after 10 years! Your life would tremble. But now you have so much time to for making a wiser choice. There are so many good guys waiting for their chance :-)
      No doubt, It'd take time but certainly, you'll heal.

• I know. Thanks for the support. Ugh. I'm just not doing a good Job. Lol

Most Helpful Girl

• im not actually sure, but I'm waiting till I'm ready. till i love myself enough again. i think it's best that one works on themselves to get to a place where they can give that love again to someone else

as for my own situation, it's been bout a year since iv been in a relationship, and that may extend to 2, but who knows? maybe something could happen this year.

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 9

• How long you wait depends on you. Normally I would say it depends on the kind of breakup also, but even that is bullshit. I was with my ex 25 years. I didn't want the divorce. I would have waited at least 6 months to date out of respect for her (plus I was hoping she would change her mind) and I also expected that. But last march, 3 months after the divorce she told me she had been cheating. She tries to say it was 2 weeks after the divorce. But she is still with the guy. so 1) the odds are like the lottery that the first person you date after a relationship is "the one" and 2) even if it was 2 weeks it is the same as cheating. she showed she had no respect for me at all. that caused me to kinda flip out and I started dating right away because in my mind I was going to 'get back' at her. but when someone never loved you you can't 'get back' at them. anyway I dated for 2 months before realizing it was too early. i tried again in aug but nope. it took until around oct-nov to be ready but I waited until Jan to start up again.
    But after 11 women I cared nothing about and never connected with... the 12th broke down all the walls and I fell in love. so it took a while but I am really happy now. but it won't come until your ready.

0|0
    0|0
  • Once your single your single. Its no longer for him to influence and determine your life. Now it is in your court if you choose to start dating because u feel ur ready then go ahead. If u wish to consider how he feels and be easy on him then dont. Making the profile is only starting so i wouldn't worry. Moving on today or tomorow are no different

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it is a personal choice. Whenever you are ready. If you start with someone new right away, some people might give you shit saying you must not care about the breakup. But its none of their business. Maybe you cope with It better by not being alone.
    I hope everything is OK. If you ever want to talk, I'm around. Good luck!

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think it's disrespectful from everything you've told me about this guy. And just because you have a profile/want to get information doesn't mean you have to go on actual dates yet.

You should meet someone new and have a bit of fun.

0|0
    0|0
    • I have, actually! I met a few guys that I'm hoping can on on dates with. Although there's so much drama happening about this break up right now that it's hard to move on!

• Quit the play and stop the drama!

• That really depends on the person in question, everyone heals and grieves etc at different rates with different coping mechanisms. The only person who can tell you when your ready is you.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah there is no time frame everyone is different. Especially with you, you kinda knew that you needed a change. Go ahead and do it :)

0|0
    0|0
  • Your boyfriend broke up with you? On Monday? I didn't know. Sorry.

0|0
    0|0
  • till you find your kind a guy/girl..

0|0
    0|0
  • Wow 2 years and you still don't have feelings for him smh

0|0
    0|0
    • HE was the one that broke up with ME. I was devastated. But there's nothing I can do but move on.

What Girls Said 5

• at least 3 months. It's not good to make a rash decision anyways. Just keep your mind busy with other things, friends, families, work, school, . etc..
    Not that it's disrespectful, you shouldn't care about that, but just take time for yourself before jumping back in another relationship. and i'm saying this because you're only 19. If you're a lot older , It'll be different.

0|0
    0|0
  • No it isn't too soon and it's not disrespectful, he broke up with you, that means that you can do whatever you want because he shouldn't care.

I think you should make one. And I'm sorry to hear that

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think there's anything wrong with it. It's good to just talk to new people. You don't have to have a relationship with them. I'm sorry about the break up, he's really missing out. You seem like a lovely girl.

0|0
    0|0
  • As soon as you feel comfortable doing so. Just don't use anyone as a rebound. Take your time, and like you said, go on a few dates if it helps your self esteem :)

0|0
    0|0
  • Whenever you want. It is your choice. It is not as if you were the one who broke up with him. It was his choice to leave you. You deserve to be happy.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes