How to help a friend whose bf just broke up with them?

Her boyfriend just broke up with her this morning and she wants to hang out with me tonight. I want to do everything I can for her and help her feel better. She's taking it okay, but I know she is hurt by it to some extent. Who wouldn't be?

Can anyone give me some advice on what to say to her? All help with this is welcome. Should I distract her from the break-up? Ask her questions about it?

Little background, they've been dating on and off for years. They are best friends, she wanted more affection from him, and he's not good at commitment at all. Plus, they're both transitioning from college life to job/adult life, so it's just not a good time for relationships anyway.

I'm going to be open with whatever she wants to do or if she just wants to talk. I'm just nervous about somehow making her feel worse with my words. I'm not the best at word choice on the spot and can easily say the wrong things.

10

Most Helpful Girl

• Take her minds of it for the night, you'll have plenty of time to talk about it later. She's probably already over thinking it, she needs a break
    and don't insult him, a break up isn't necessarily the end of the relationship, it would be weird if they got back together one day.

• I'm friends with him too, and he's a good guy. Insults off the table!

Any ideas on how to take her mind away from this?

• Push a little more but if she's still says no, ask her what she'd like to do

• Ok awesome, will do. Thank you! Let me know if you think of anything else I can do to help her