Why do girls go back to their exes?

This question has probably been asked several times but why do they go back to their exes after like 2 months apart?
I have noticed it's usually girls who are quite young 15-17 year olds, I was the same at 16 I kept going back to my ex we both knew it would never work between us but we always got back together. Also when the ex continues to be in the same social circle they get back together. Why can't they accept it didn't work and there's a reason why it never worked? Like they will meet a new guy who will care about them and they will sort of like them but go back to the ex?

11