Girlfriend broke up with me but still wants to remain friends?

My girlfriend of a year plus just broke up with me and it really stings right now as I'm trying to take it in. She told me that her feelings for me had faded and didn't want to drag me on any more in the relationship.

I respect her for telling me how she felt about the relationship and being honest but I got confused when she asked if we could still remain friends.

In a right state of mind I'd probably take a break from all communication and let myself cool off alone but right now my heart still loves her very much. I told her that if we remained friends I'd probably be somewhat bitter towards her because it seemed so sudden but she said she hoped that we could still be friends.

I know at the end of the day she's going to go on with her life and so will I. Knowing how I handle a breakup, I'll probably just have to let go.

This question is more of a sharing to get off my chest but maybe people who experienced something similar could share how they dealt with breakups like these.

All the best guys & girls.

46

Most Helpful Girl

• I honestly do not think its a good idea to be friends with an ex. If I were you I would just move on. I find it to be a waste of time, and it doesn't solve anything. It makes things awkward to, and if you do decide to be friends you will have a difficult time moving on. My best advice would be to cut off all contact with her and don't speak to her again. Go out and see other people and live your life. Keep yourself busy and do not think about her. A lot of them just say that to be nice but there is a chance you two will not remain being friends. It'll take some time but I learned that when you cut off all communication with an ex it helps you heal and it helps you move on, take my advice please.

What Girls Said 3

• No, no, and no.
    It is a highly selfish, inconsiderate, self-absorbed request for someone who dumped you to ask if you can be just a call and text away so they can still benefit from your attributes. A dumper asking you to be their friend is basically you being demoted in their life; displaced, reduced in rank and importance, and repositioned in a way that doesn't benefit you at all.

Please pick up what's ever left of your dignity and walk away.

• Another important thing to consider is that she doesn't intend to truly have a friendship with you but she just wants assuage her guilt. She probably feels bad for the way things went so she wants to RELIEVE HER GUILT by knowing that you're not upset with her. Don't give her that power.

• I don't think its a good idea to remain friends with an ex.. its hard to move on that way..
    Best thing to do is to stop seeing her and stop the communication.. Continue to live your life and keep yourself busy..
    In that way, you will move on slowly and looking for brighter side instead of getting stuck up on her and dwell on heartaches..

• Honestly you will probably do better just to move on because being her friend will only cause you more pain and will make it hard for you to move on she is being really selfish. I know how you feel because my ex broke up with me 2 months ago and he wanted to remain friends but I told him that I could not be his friend for a while because I still loved him and he still tried contacting me but I told him I never want to talk to him again.

What Guys Said 6

• She's just saying that to be nice. There's a 90%+ chance that you will not remain friends. Just accept it, mourn as long as you need, then get on with your life.

• Mate, you have no control over a woman who may have lost attraction to you, it's happened to all of us. Maybe move on first than become friends, if you don't move on, than the first time you see her with another man will devastate you

• I feel you mate. Ex girlfriend told me the same thing. She wanted to be friends but just I couldn't. The first days after the break-up i was bitter to her. But that's how love and disappointment works. I didn't contact her, only after a couple of months, thing that helped me a lot. You can only be friends with her only when you don't feel her as your girlfriend anymore. And that gonna take a few months. You could keep in touch but that will only hurt you unless you are in absolute control of your emotions. And trust me. She might find what was lost one day. But for the time being i suggest you give yourself some time , not to think, to cool down and improve

• She doesn't want to be friends. Best possible thing you can do is completely drop her. She can't miss you if you are always there as her ''friend''.

• Tell her:

"Guys and Girls friends? Bitch please."

• You shouldn't stay friends if you still love her. I've tried that. It hurts so bad. Please don't. No one deserves to feel like that.