Girls, I broke up with my girlfriend just over a month ago. We were great friends before things escalated, I want to reach out, but should I?

I met a girl when I was living in Barcelona. She's a beautiful amazing girl, but the entire time we considered each other as "just our Barcelona," as she knew I was moving back to the states, and she was also moving on afterwards. But of course, by the time my trip in Barcelona was coming to an end, instead of sticking to the plan we tried to make a long distance relationship work. Knowing her personality I should've known from the beginning we were never right for each other, but being naive we tried anyways.

Fast forward two years, and we're at the end of our relationship. It didn't end smoothly, we had actually been breaking up with each other for some time, but she broke up with me last and I was a bit crazy in the end trying to hold on to her as I was more or less begging for her to stay. I put myself in a really bad spot. Honestly I was more in love with the idea of keeping her around in my life, and I became selfish in not letting her be with anyone else. Now we haven't spoken in a month, and I hate it because I knew deep down we weren't right for each other, and I should've just stuck to the plan and kept Barcelona in Barcelona. At least that way there would be no hard feelings and we could still reach out from time to time. But now I haven't spoken to her in a month, and it's killing me because all I want is to be her friend. Is it ok if I contact her? I want to set things straight and be her friend. Of course we won't go back to talking every day like we had been for two years, but I don't want her last impression of me to be this needy insecure guy who wants so badly to be with her, because I'm not like that at all. So it's driving me crazy that I acted like that, and if I don't ever talk to her again that will forever be her last impression of me. But at the same time I don't know what I could say to her without her thinking I'm just trying to win her back, because that's not what I want either, I just want to be on good terms. What do I do?

2

What Girls Said 2

• I don't see why you can't contact her wanting to be friends. At least you tried and you won't be here stressing like you are.

• I'd wait another month and then contact her. It will probably come off as needy if you contact her right now.