Why ask to be friends when dumping someone?

I've been seeing this guy pretty regularly. We talk on the phone most nights and text everyday. He told me that he liked me and wanted to see where things could go. Now a week later he comes over my house and tells me he just wants to be friends. He's like you're a really great girl but I just want to be friends. After talking to him a little more and still being confused I got up to have him leave. He seemed really sad that I didn't want to be his friend and asked me to hug him and text him tomorrow. I'm confused as to why people do this?

41

Most Helpful Girl

• - Because they think it softens the blow, it's not like they're saying "I never want to see your face again" or anything like that. They want you to know that they still (probably) care for you, unless they're saying it without actually meaning it.
    - They like you, but not enough to want to date you. Just enough to want to be your friend.
    - They think that you'll be happy knowing that you'll still get to keep in touch with them (although obviously some people aren't happy with it because it prevents them from moving on).
    - It's basically like a consolation prize in a way.

What Guys Said 1

• Because they think its the nicest way to let someone down.

What Girls Said 3

• He really likes you and respects you as a person, but decided he's not interested in pursuing a romantic relationship with you at this time. He doesn't want to lose your friendship in his life, and hopes you can still be friends. It's totally okay if you decide you're unable to maintain a friendship with him, your feelings are your own and you're under no obligation to remain in contact with him. I think he sounds like a stand-up guy, coming to your house to discuss this in person. Most people these days don't do that, and in my opinion, it shows how mature he is. Everyone could use a friend like that :) Take care!

• Because he doesn't know what he wants and he wants to keep in touch because he still has slight feelings for you. He might not know that he still has slight feelings for you though.

• To ease the hurt from the break up