Divorced parents or not?

Are your parents divorced? And if so, how do you handle it mentally?
My parents are and I'm already struggling 2 years with it. Any advice?

• Yes
  • No

27

Most Helpful Girl

• My parents got divorced since I was 5 years old. I am now 25 years old. My relationship with my father seems to go from bad to worse: why, you might ask?

My father cheated on my mother after 20 odd years of marriage and six kids...

My father NEVER apologised to my mother. My father NEVER apologises for anything... I told him that I didn't like it that he was making himself look like the victim: my mum was left with nothing, two children (me and my brother who is five years older) and a f***ing bitch trying to get rid of her. He blamed her for leaving to find a life back in her home country - both me and my brother left in the care of our semi-older brother under the same roof as my father.

So yeah, I will never forgive my father for taking away everything from us; not unless he actually apologises. However, it doesn't mean I don't love him, and I know how to deal with him (60% of the time)...

You have to be strong, knowing that its not your fault and allowing yourself to be upset and angry might help, I can only say that with time you will accept it, you will understand both their sides: its important to know both stories, and know the truth so that later it won't hit you again.

• Thank you for sharing your story. ❤

• I hope things get better for you; its never easy to accept things like that, but knowing the truth behind it all helps.

What Guys Said 7

• My parents got divorced when I was about 1 so I never knew what they were like married. It didn't really bother me except that I hate my step-dad. I just had to put up with their sh*t until I could move out on my own.

I deal with my mental problems through a therapist and a psychiatrist.

• Lots of respect for you since you've taken the step to go and see a therapist 👍

• Mine divorced when I was 18. Best choice my mum has ever made, my dad is a cock. I haven't seen him since.

• My parents are not divorced but my brother is getting divorced with his wife and he has a 3 years old daughter... I hope this won't affect her life that much, I'm really worried at my little niece. So hopefully everything will be ok for her and for you :)

• I think that it affects children more when they are older. Your little niece probably won't remember them fighting, she will see her parents happy :) good luck anyway and be a brave uncle!

• Yup, didn't effect me at all. They might as well have never been married in the first place, only difference divorce made was him no longer living with us.

• I was relieved when my parents divorced. The two should have never married. I mean 21 years of constant fighting is more damaging to your children than divorce could have ever done.

• By grace of God, married and together for 50 years.

• Wow :) it's beautiful to hear that!

• Thank you. I am indeed thankful to God for a wonderful life they've had and brought us up with the best possible effort.

• With me they can't even try to divorce as am old already I will just bring them back and believe me am serious about what am talking about

• But what if they don't love eachother any longer and if it doesn't work out any more?

• Sorry for the crappy English btw!

What Girls Said 1

• my father died long ago