In order to move on, will you remove everything that will remind of the person who broke your heart?

103

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes that's a good idea. You cannot heal if you still have reminders of them everywhere. You don't have to throw physical things away but just put them in a box and store it somewhere in your closet. The idea is just that you diminish the reminders you might experience when you're just living your life day to day. I didn't throw away my ex's birthday card to me but I did put it somewhere safe where I don't have to see what he wrote to me because it brings back painful memories. If you take away the source it becomes easier to forget about them. I can personally testify to this. I'm 3 weeks post break up and just something as simple as deleting his number has helped me.

What Girls Said 9

• It helps to move on. that's what I did when my ex broke up with me. I took everything he gave me and I ripped it and I burned it. It helped to get him out of my head and it also helped me move on. Cutting him out of my life, cutting off all contact with him, acting like he doesn't exist, blocking his number helped me all so much. Its a slow process, moving on but it works great. I got rid of everything my ex gave me and it helped so much. He just put me through a lot and I was like I've had enough.

• I'm a very sentimental person and I have a hard time throwing away anything that has emotional value to me (definitely far from hoarder status though lol). So an ex who broke my heart... no, I don't get rid of anything that he gave me, but I put it away where I won't see it all the time. If after enough time I no longer have an attachment to it, I'll throw it out.

• Yeah, I probably would.

• Honestly, I delete their number, messages, stuff (give it back to them) & everything else that reminds me. I then save things I want I. e. a Christmas card they sent, or a screenshot of a text conversation & then hide the photo on my phone. Then you still have something but out of site until you can deal with seeing it! Otherwise I never let go & text/call/cry over them constantly because its in my face

• Memories will always be in your mind so throwing out the items does not erase the memories. I place the important items in a box somwhere that I do not look often so I am not reminded daily.

• yes.. especially communication..

• I literally can't do that

• Yes.. It's good start

• I hear that's what some people do. Some of my friends said they burned every gift their exs gave them.

I personally couldn't, if I throw everything out at once. I'll probably find my self rummaging through the garbage later to get it lol. Or spend all night thinking about it. "Defeating the original purpose of getting rid of it"

I throw things out one by one as I move on or I put it someplace I don't check often. I do delete all text messages and phone memories, pictures. etc
    I'll delete the number too but I save it somewhere just incase. And my phone has everything backed up online so I technically still have pictures too.

Just everything being out of site is good enough for me

What Guys Said 3

• Yeah that is one of the thing you should do. Try to remove or cut off any connection you may think relates to your ex. That includes items and sometimes people that are very close to your ex.

• dude... wotever u do... memories will still haunt u... trust me :-)

• Yeah. That's what I'm actually thinking.

• Yes it's better