What is so wrong with breaking up over the phone?

I've been in situations where a person has stopped talking to me out of the blue or actually tries to make me hate them or wean me off so to speak. So, to me, breaking up over the phone isn't bad. It really could be much worse. I respect a person who can tell me verbally and allow for closure whether it's on the phone or in person. I personally might even prefer it since it's easier to hide my emotions. To me, if anything, doing it over the phone is roughly equivalent to doing it in person. I cannot understand why people get so offended over it. It never really bothered me. I'm usually grateful for it. And then, if one or both if you wants to meet up later to talk you can do that. *shrugs* Is it just me?

I mean I can understand if you've been together for a couple of years or if you live relatively close to the person.. but yeah.

14

Most Helpful Guy

• To me only a coward would do that. Why don't they say it in my face?

• I suppose I just have to consider the fact that it bothers some people even though it doesn't bother me.

• Its a fact only cowards do that because they are afraid of what I may feel. However it wouldn't bother me one bit because I know it wasn't meant to be.

• I guess. I just wouldn't actually feel disrespected by it.

What Guys Said 3

• Breaking up over the phone is a pansy ass thing to do. It shows that the person doesn't have the courage or balls to confront the other person about the situation because they're too afraid. The only way I could understand breaking up over the phone is if both parties live in different countries and don't see each other on often occasions.

• I prefer face to face, over the phone is ok too, because you can hear their voice, know it's your SO, but I feel a text or email is pretty spineless...
    Just my thoughts..

• How could I do that to somebody I loved to bits earlier? It just seems wrong to me. If I did that I would question my earlier feelings in the first place. Nobody deserves that without genuine reasons (like finding out he is a serial killer).

What Girls Said 1

• I think breaking up over the phone is quite childish. It doesn't give you any closure at all. I prefer to break up with someone face to face, just so I can give them closure and say what I need to say. I would never break up with someone over the phone or through a text. I think breaking up over the phone is a crucial thing to do.