After how many break-ups should a couple just stick to being friends or nothing at all?

Several couples often break up and get back together repeatedly. What # number breakup draws the line between when they should just stop getting back together?

• 1 - don't get back together after the first breakup
  • 2 - stop after the second break up
  • 3 - three strikes and you're out
    Vote C
  • 4 - fourth breakup for good measure
    Vote D
  • 5 - fifth time and we are never ever ever getting back together
    Vote E
  • Break up and get back together as many times as they want
    Vote F
  • Depends on the reason and length of time between break ups
    Vote G

57

Most Helpful Guy

• What? There's a number for it now? You give or you'll be given a second chance if you still love each other and willing to adjust from your mistakes/bad memories.. Throw it all away to start fresh.. if it didn't worked out again then (HOUSTON THEY HAVE A PROBLEM).. same like mistake.. 1st time its a stupid mistake or decision, 2nd time is already a choice.. I'm not sure if you'll stay as friends.. but for me.. grow separately, don't hold each others opportunity to mature and have a life..

1 or 2

What Guys Said 6

• Shit happens, someone overreacts, someone went too far... Everyone deserves a second chance. If you learn from mistakes. I voted 2.

• This is a question which should lie with the couple... No one else. If they want to get back together again, so be it.

• If you break up during a fight, you two are not mature enough to be in a relationship, so I think breaking up for good is for the best.

• one or two at most.

• About 9...

• Vote A. Been there, done that, hate repetition.

What Girls Said 5

• I'm sure many couples that "make it" may have had a split in there somewhere.

But in MY experience I have broken up and gotten back together with my two past boyfriends (one doesn't really count, it was high school) but anyway... both times we ended up splitting for good for the exact same reasons as the first split.

• I think after any break up they should just stop being around each other altogether.

• I think personally that we can meet the right person but just the timing is wrong. I think though only a second chance is sufficient, and that if you have to try more than that, its more so holding onto something that isn't there.

• I don't communicate with my exes to this day.

• It really depends why you're breaking, like if one if you cheated then it's probably never a good idea to get back together but if it's something less serious that you can work through then I'd say 2-3 times.