Why would my ex-husband want to stay friends?

My ex-husband (he is the one that wanted the divorce) continues to say that he wants to stay friends and doesn't want to lose me in his life. I do not understand this as normally when you cut ties you need to cut all of them.

54

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm sorry. I'm going through the same exact thing right now. My ex keeps throwing around that he doesn't want to throw away 6 years and that we should remain friends. It's very hard to see him as just a friend right now, and to be honest, I don't want to be his friend right now. I think I need some time to get my feelings in check and then later on we can be friends in the future. I think it's hard to imagine not being with that person that you were with and so for him to think it's easy peasy "let's be friends" is a selfish move on his part. Just be honest with him. You need your time. You are hurt. If you want to talk more, you can inbox me.

What Guys Said 4

• maybe she liked u as person, and wants 2 not throw anything away

guess u had good moments 2gether... no?

• He should meet my ex-wife, who calls me frequently. She wants the emotional connection without the physical one. I politely decline.

• Who wanted the divorce? Is it because she wants to get back together or just knows you will be there for her?

• She did. According to The Dragon Lady, everything I did was always wrong and any time we had a disagreement it was because I was mentally ill. I apparently didn't even vacuum the floors in a proper pattern. She also wanted to live closer to the ocean. (Heck, I would too but my job keeps me inland).

• So she just knew you would be there for her for emotional support. That is not healthy at all. Our divorce has been civil (very few bumps in the road). I just dont know why he would want to stay friends.

• agree exes should not be friends unless there's children involved.

• Generally I would agree with you. Do you have kids together?

• No children

• I just dont know why he is the one wanting it. shouldn't he want to cut all the ties. I have moved on with my life. I would be fine with being friends but it just makes no sense at this point.

• For some people, it's important to stay friends. I'm not one of those people.

What Girls Said 4

• I agree, all ties should be cut.
    Maybe its hard for him to imagine you completely out of his life, but just doesn't see you as his wife :/

• Sometimes the romantic/sexual relationship is gone but the friendship with that person has not. I have stayed friends with all my ex's bar one that cheated.

• You were married, so you were probably very close. Now you're still attached to each other and some people need to leave past behind to move forward and some want to keep it close because it's familiar and comforting in some way...

• Do you have a kid together?