If you ever improved a partner when you were together, do you regret it now you've broken up?

I mean improving them by possibly improving their fashion sense, their hairstyle, their lifestyle, their fitness etc, do you sometimes regret doing it now they are no longer your partner?

Do you feel like you've improved their chances of getting a better partner because of the 'improvements' they made that you encouraged, when you two were together? Does this bother you or are you glad you had some part in their improvement/development as a person?

25

Most Helpful Guy

• I learned a lot from older girls, but I think they knew that we wouldn't have a future. They were happy to think they had helped me develop as a partner, and I'm sure they never regretted anything!

What Guys Said 4

• All interactions with people, even 'bad ones' will lead to an improvement. If someone gets trampled over for example, because they lack boundaries, their anger will well and bubble, and eventually overflow. In this case anger is righteous, because it leads to empowerment. The person has become less passive, more integrated and resilient, through these so called bad experiences (incidentally, this is also a justification for suffering, as it leads to growth).

As for relationships, no, I don't waste my time looking back. Time to look to bigger and better things on the horizon. Partners can take responsibility for their own lives. More often than not, people aren't willing to change 'yet', it might take them decades before they wake up. It's not your responsibility, and nor should you go into any relationship with this notion of trying to change them. Relationships should really be a meeting of the two nows, an appreciation of each other *in the moment*, this is love, in my view.

• Yes I improved her use of deodorants and perfumes and also she has sorted out her oral well being because of me. I don't regret it.

• Yeah, but I don't regret it.

• There is no value to regretting helping someone.

What Girls Said 2

• I dated one guy who was especially a mess and afterwards he was still a mess.

I can't say I regret not changing him, because that was never my plan (he hid a lot of his.. mess until later on)

But, hopefully he'll get better.

• No, I never regret a break up