If you are not accepted by his family, will this be another reason to break the relationship?

I dated this guy for three years and his family has never opened up/accepted me. I know this because of the way they act towards me. they give me just enough attention around my boyfriend, to be nice. However, his sisters are all really good friends with his ex? they still hang out with her and we dated for three years and I still didn't get any friendship out of them. I think a lot of this was because they are so family orientated, as well as his ex. both his family and hers are catholic and I am not... I always felt like I was competing with the ex for family acceptance. Could this be another reason why our relationship didn't work out? Can religion and beliefs interfere with truly accepting that person?
2
3