Have you ever stayed with someone because they said they were going to kill themselves?

There's a girl I know, she's expressed multiple times that if I don't give her unconditional love then she would kill herself, but then I read some of the things she says to her girlfriends, and she's saying that I couldn't live life without her, when I think it's the other way around. Should I address this with her, or should I just ignore her

I used to like her, but then I realized she was a fake, which I won't lie pissed me off at the time, so I called her out and "destroyed" her, "multiple times" now she might be suicidal and I'm kind of conflicted as to how I should handle it. She's not the type of person to feel guilty about anything, but now she's using it against me.

I need some insight on this.

74

Most Helpful Girl

• I had a ex boyfriend that used to pull the same thing on me. He didn't talk crap to his friends, but he made it almost impossible for me to end the relationship. It was always about how much he needed me, I was all he had, he couldn't live without me / didn't want to live without me. I dealt with it for a while because I never want to hurt anyone's feelings or cause problems... but it kept getting worse and I couldn't take it anymore. Eventually he became possessive and weird so I had to break up with his crazy acting ass. Needless to say he made it through!!! So, the only insight I can offer you is from what I went through and I would advise you to exit the stage quickly and quietly. If you have already "destroyed" her "multiple" times (as she claims), what's wrong with giving her the grand finale and ending it for good before you end up wrapped up in a co-dependent BS relationship forever!!!

What Girls Said 6

• Have you ever stayed with someone because they said they were going to kill themselves

No I've dumped/bailed on guys who try that emotional manipulation bs. I refer to the manipulation as bs not the suicide claim as most of the guys actually attempted it (a few successfully).

"She's not the type of person to feel guilty about anything"
    Exactly how do you know this or is this an assumption for your own guilt of 'destroying' her?

• She's kind of a hedonist/emotional abuser, if you know what I mean.

• So it seems her suicide claim is very unlikely and you may be guilt-free by walking away.

• That's what I thought I first, but I think she's having issues with self-worth, which may be what keeps her together.

• its a pretty common abuser tactic to threaten suicide on your partner. No one has genuinely used suicide as a threat. That's always about controlling them etc...

What are you talking about with this second paragraph. A fake? "Destroyed" her in scare quotes? What did you do? Maybe you should just leave this girl alone.

• Those are her words... I showed her that her beliefs were just tactics, that other people could use on her too.

• men are cruel.

• That's a hallmark of emotional abuse. Get her some help and get out.

• If your justified in your reasons to walk away (it sounds like you are) then you can't let yourself be accountable for her action no matter how drastic. It's like a terrible game of blackmail. Shouldn't she want you to want her as opposed to feeling obligated?

• That's emotional blackmail, and that shit is unhealthy. For you. She is seeing how far you will go for her, manipulating you, and then showing off to her friends that you are wrapped around her little finger. Get the fuck out while you can.

• No I would just call a mental hospital and let them take care of it. You shouldn't have to stay with someone because they're threatening to self harm, it is manipulation.

What Guys Said 4

• You probably can't help them long term, but by staying near them for a while, you've hopefully helped them get past a bad moment.

• most of da times people who say that they r doin it... just in order 2 "force" the other guy/gal stay with him/her basically... but still... wot if they killed themselves 4 real? u'll never know... :-/

• I listened during hours to people saying that.
    Two of them did it. :-(

• You're in a tough spot. Think you need her girlfriends on your side.

Record it with your phone if you have to. She's holding you hostage.