Why can't he get over his ex?

so I have this friend who I lived with for 3 months , we like each other and have kissed before but we live far away from each other and he's not ready for a relationship right now and I don't think he'd make a good boyfriend because his ex dumped him. I don't know what happened with them except they were only together 4 months or so, it was not serious at the start but he was and I think still is broken hearted. I still see him and talk to him and he doesn't seem to have got over it. he became very depressed after it happened and he seems to blame himself still. he tried to see her in the summer but she wasn't at home and texted him the next day to say we shouldn't see each other all summer. he won't get involved in a relationship with any other girl (not me or anyone) and says he won't have a relationship till he finishes college in 3 years time! he is only 19 now but she was his first love and he can't get past her. he said if I lived near him I would be "the right girl" but I don't think we would be together even if I did live near. I'm not even keen on a relationship myself with anyone right now but I hate to see him so unhappy and how long will it take him to get through this? she broke up with him about 9 months ago and after he became depressed he failed his exams and is now working until Christmas, he will be back in college after that so I hope that will make him happier. Any ideas why he's having such a hard time? he's an emotional guy but he hides it very well from most people
Why can't he get over his ex?
Add Opinion