My ex is confusing me, what does this mean&why is he explaining himself?

Me and my ex broke up a week ago. I ignored him and his texts since then but he keeps msging me. Today he msged me asking why i was ignoring him... So i said he made his decision. I respect it but I'm not settling for any less than what I want (he said he wanted us to be 'cool')
He then broke down and said he understood and proceeded to say that he missed me but...
"I don't know if I can give you my all right now&I dont want to lead you astray" ?

I just said okay but its playing on my mind. We've broken up so I don't know why he's even explaining himself. ...
What does he mean?

32

Most Helpful Girl

• He feels guilty and doesn't want you to think bad of him. He wants you to be cool with everything so he can be in piece and move on. If you show him you are cool with it, he's gonna feel like breakup was the right thing to do and he's gonna feel smart, if you don't... he's gonna feel like shit for quite some time, until he finds another girlfriend. In both ways - he's not coming back, and the only thing you should be concerned about is how YOU feel: if it makes you feel better that he feels good or bad. Just remember, no matter how he feels, he's not changing his mind. It's just about the process of healing and copping.

What Guys Said 2

• i'm afraid he doesn't want 2 se u... at least for now :)

• He may want you back, he just isn't mature enough to commit to you.

What Girls Said 2

• He's just trying to clear the air.

• Welcome to the 'friendzone'