Boyfriend of 3 years broke up with me to "find himself"?

Lately he's been saying he has felt complacent and that he just can't work on himself while in a relationship. I don't know what to do with myself... we still care about each other and he made it very clear that this had nothing to do with me, and it was about him.
I want to be with him on this journey, especially seeing as the past couple weeks have been fantastic together. We've been the boyfriend/girlfriend we both want to be. What can I say to him to convince him to stay? I am just heartbroken. He's moving into a new and better living situation very soon and I think that will help things a lot for him. I just don't want him to make this quick of a decision almost out of nowhere.
Basically, how do I get him to stay? How can I make this work?

23

Most Helpful Girl

• You are clinging on to how it's used to be between you two. Now he's changed and wants to find his own path that may include or not include you. He's let go of you and you are not ready to let go yet.

What Guys Said 3

• Leave it. I did the same thing and you won't change him. A guy won't admit this to someone he likes, but a part of finding himself is experimenting with different women as well. How would he know what he likes if he doesn't try different things.

• I know him very well and that this isn't about wanting to see other people immediately. If you've done this before, what would have been any possibly way of convincing you to stay together?

• Please just move on, he's doing what's best for himself and you should support him for that. Don't make him feel attached to you out of your own desires.

• He has issues that you can't work for him. Leave it.

What Girls Said 1

• Ok let this man go. You do not have any option. If he stays he will be misrable. Will you like that?
    Sometimes we need space a calm little space. He needs that. If you really like him, you will let him go. Love is not tying, it is setting free.