Should we tell our best friend that his mother is cheating?

Several hours ago I went to have a dinner with my girlfriend and many other good friends in a restaurant in Boston, and we saw a friend's mother is having an affair with another man. (Because that friend generally does not hang out with this group of people, only I, my girlfriend and another guy knew what happened so that is a quite little "secret" and she does not that someone found her secret.) We were sure that she is cheating, based on various intimate activities between his mother and that man! My girlfriend wants to tell that friend what happened, but I am against that idea and do not want to intervene this thing!

Do you think we should tell my friend what happened? Which solution do you think is better for us, for that friend and for his family?
  • Tell your friend.
  • Tell his father directly.
  • Confront with his mother and tell her to stop.
    Vote C
  • Do not intervene that crap.
    Vote D
  • Toss a coin or dice.
    Vote E
  • I do not know.
    Vote F
I and my girlfriend know his entire family, so we can tell his father or his brother directly.
Anyone has any specific suggestions?

3638

Most Helpful Girl

• Ok so I read some of the comments and I need to comment on comments:

IF you choose to say anything it is NOT you breaking the family, that would be the people involved in the infidelity.

That being said, you have no idea what kind of relationship arrangement your friends parents have. Meaning they could have an open relationship where both parties have agreed it is acceptable for them to see someone else. The status of what their relationship agreement is is none of your business and none of their children's business. So going to dad, brother or your friend directly is a pretty big invasion of privacy and will no doubt create a lot of tension for everyone; particularly if there is an arrangement between mom and dad that they've chosen to keep between the two of them.

IF your moral conscious simply can't let it go, then I would suggest you 'casually' say something to mom about seeing her at the restaurant and watch her response. No accusations, judgments etc because you really don't know what's going on.

These are VERY dangerous waters to tread in, getting involved could end up ruining your relationship with your friend. Think carefully before you do anything

• This was exactly what I was going to say. Great job. I am surprised that you are only 23, this is a very mature answer.

• Very nice comment and suggestions. If it was me, I'd do the casual talk trick but not to see mom's reaction, more to give her a sign that whatever she is doing, it is being "discovered" and this could be a nice warning sign for her to think about what she's doing and solve it by herself and with her own family.

Most Helpful Guy

• Regardless of what you saw, it may not be what you think. And yes, I have mouth kissed another woman when my wife was alive. And it was a friend of hers and I did it in front of her. The friendship was close and we expressed a tight friendship with kisses that were innocent. If someone had seen it and told my wife she would have laughed at them.

If you are going to tell someone, tell the father. There is no reason to place your friend in the middle. Let the parents deal with it. As someone else has already stated, you should have gone to their table and greeted her innocently when it happened. That makes it obvious that you have seen them. But that mooment has passed.