Do you think it's a good idea to be friends with your ex after a break up? Like straight after a break up. I want us to work out in the future?

My ex boyfriend broke up with me but convinced me to make it a mutual break up? So I agreed but deep down inside I still love him. We are friends now and we talk everyday but I always get ahead of myself when I talk to him. Like getting jealous over things and stuff. Talking to him makes me upset and sad but so does cutting contacts with him. What should I do?

23

Most Helpful Guy

• it is very rare for two people to stay friends after a break-up. Its rare but it happens, and i am all for it. I think it is a special kind of friendship, one you dont get if you were friends in the beginning and then never dated.
    Think of Jerry and Elaine on Seinfeld. All those adventures and good times wouldn't have happened if they didn't stay friends after they broke up. If you aren't right for someone, breaking up can be a good thing. Then, if you stay friends, you can be better friends because of it.
    I say it is a healthy thing to stay as friends. You already know each other very well so when a problem comes up and you turn to each other, you'll be able to support your friend better than most.

What Guys Said 2

• Yes. One of my ex's and I are great friends. We just had lunch today and we chide each other about relationships and crap. It's great.

• How long after the break up did you guys become friends?

• I think we were a little faster than you can have as a realistic expectation. We hung out a couple of weeks later, and we've been great friends since.

• I'm not sure what you should do but I'm in the same boat with my ex. We broke up two days ago because she wants to travel the world and I can't. We are still friends and talk a lot as well. But I don't know what the best thing to do is

• Does your feelings grow deeper as you talk to your ex? Doesn't it make you want more? Or you plan to move on? Or you just plan to let it be and whatever comes come.

• It hurts to be away and hurts to talk to her. Honestly we both want to be together but know it can't work. Maybe someday if she decides she doesn't want to travel and be far far away, we could get back together. But I'm not counting on it

What Girls Said 2

• I would have a talk to him and let him know that you and him breaking up isn't easy for you and that it's going to take some time before you guys can be friends. Then just take some time to get over him and meet some new prople and then maybe invite him for coffee or something.

He should understand. Its difficult going from an intimate relationship to friends. Especially since he was the one that broke it off with you.

• Be strong. I haven't talked to my ex in almost a week now. You've got to make him miss you.

• I plan to do that. But he's a really egoistic person.