Would you leave your wife/husband/partner if they left your religion?

Just wondering what other people would do. My brother said if his wife ever left Islam he would show her the door without hesitation.

He would expect me to do the same.

56

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't have a religion so I think I'm out of the woods on that one.

• Yeah I don't have religion either... I have to pretend though... it sucks

• That's awesome! Congrats on coming out!

• The funny thing is that my dad knew and she didn't.

What Guys Said 6

• Well I'm not religious so that sort of occurance wouldn't really affect me, however I can see why it would some people, although I think it's a bit rash to just leave them for that, it's their life, you don't have a say in what they choose, and they can still be a good person, a good partner and still love you and love your family without being the exact religion you are.

• I totally agree with you. I love a person... not their beliefs.

• Exactly, although if they believed I was the most amazing guy in the world, I might love them for that as well, lol.

• When I was married, my wife left my church and I think that contributed to the breakdown of our marriage. There were other problems, but I think she would have stayed and worked on them if she had not walked away from God.

• I see... I'm just trying to understand where my brother is coming from. I love my fiance so much I don't see myself leaving him for something like that. But I suppose everyone has their deal breakers... if religion is the top priority in a person's life it makes sense.

• If you don't believe in me, how can I believe in you?

• if i loved my wife, nope I wouldn't leave her, I'd accept her

• I am a christian so yes, sorry

• If she converted to a religion that was extreme then I'd leave her. I'm agnostic.

What Girls Said 4

• Wow. Okay, my boyfriend is Muslim. I am not. I'm not anything, which I think is really bad for him because you're meant to have a girl who isn't a believe of the Books, being Christian or Jew. And it's really really bad because we're boyfriend and girlfriend haha but he does plan to marry me and we are getting engaged soon.
    He's more Westernized. I just try to do what's morally right. I've read the Quran, and I'll let my kids be raised in Islam, but it's not for me. I wake him up on time every morning for the first prayer and I do what I can to make sure he is following it, but it's still not for me. He accepts that.
    I am sure most Muslims would leave their spouses, though. Your brother must be a very faithful Muslim man, and if that's how he is, then that's how he is.

• Well that's good u r going to compromise and are ok with it. Islam is not for me either. My fiance is Jewish but he has converted for me because Muslim women can only marry a Muslim man. We plan on raising our kids Muslim even though we are both really agnostic atheists... but my family can't know

• Not really. But if he leaving our religion causes us problems, leads us to fight, maybe I'll consider it.

• I doubt he would since the catholic faith is strong

• if my boyfriend left his religion, i'd marry him in a heartbeat

• if he left my religion... probably not. depends on which religion he converted to