How to act when I see my ex?

I'm going to an event tonight and my ex is going to be there. We broke up 6 months ago and we've been on otherwise good terms, I get a text from him about once every 3-4 weeks, but I haven't physically seen him in 3 months. I don't know what has been gonig on in his life - if he's seeing anybody else or how far he's moved on. There's always going to be that place in the back of my head where I wish we could get back together, but tonight its not about that. I just want to be able to talk with him and get along with him and not in the awkward, obligatory "I have to be nice to you because we're in public" way. He's my first serious boyfriend so I'm still reeling from it a little bit.

21

Most Helpful Girl

• Best way to conduct yourself when you see an ex is to be pleasant, joyful, constantly show a million dollar smile, and appear to be well put together. Even if you are the complete opposite. NEVER let it show. Break-ups can be complicated and if you were the one who was dumped, you certainly don't want him thinking "Good thing we're not together anymore. She's a mess!"

It's also important for you to realize that you don't have to be able to get along with him. You don't have to even try to avoid an awkward, obligatory vibe. The reality is, you don't have to have anything to do with him. HE'S YOUR EX. You no longer owe him ANYTHING at all.
    I have found that when it comes to being at an event with your ex, it's best to focus on the event, appreciate everything special and unique about the event, concentrate on your company/the people you showed up with, and really stay focused on having a good time and showing others a good time. Don't be focused on your ex. Don't have expectations. Act like they are not in the room and don't show them that they have any power or effect on you.

What Guys Said 1

• best i can tell you is not think about it. the truth is, you're never gonna be ready for it.

What Girls Said 1

• Smile, wave, grit your teeth and move on.

Smile and wave boys. Just smile and wave.