My girlfriend and I are taking a break, I'm confused?

My girlfriend and I have been dating for almost two years now. As things have been going downhill these last two months and as much as I try to get this relationship working, nothing I do seems to change things for positive between us. So I asked her to take a break, on which she agreed as this would give me time to work on my personal issues and hers as well.

To put you guys in the context, we had a huge fight over useless stuff 3 weeks ago and I went too far. I grabbed her arm. (It left a tiny bruise on it) and I felt horrible and ashamed of myself. Alcohol was a factor in my behavior and since then, I stopped drinking and went to counselling. I still feel horrible and I honestly DON'T want this to happen again. She has a hard time getting over the thought of me doing it. It left her frightened and scared. This is the first time it happend and I truly, sincerely told her I was sorry, and want to regain her trust that anything like this won't EVER happen again.

She has been distant these last few weeks since it happened and I don't blame her either. It came to a point that I couldn't deal with her being emotionally distant and suggested we take time apart so I could work on myself, which she painfuly agreed and she said that she would do the same.

We haven't set a time frame on the break. Any thoughts or advice on this would be greatly appreciated!!

14

Most Helpful Girl

• you need to set a time frame asap!

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

What Guys Said 4

• I would say use this break to understand about yourself and work on removing your drawbacks so that when you get back together with her things will be much better.

• Wow. That's tough. I sympathize with you. It'll take time - a lot of it - for this to heal. It can, though. But you can never go back to who you were, not even for an instant.

• Move on youve ruined her trust in you

• Are you the same guy that posted about being drunk and grabbing her arm forcefully not long ago? If her heart is in the right place, she should know you didn't mean it... But to be honest you're action is probably the most frightneing thing a girl can experience in her life