Once a liar always a liar?

My ex broke up with me 3 months ago and we were together for 2 years. During couple of months before he dumped me obviously was lying and pretending how he loves me and shit, since he ended it with "I don't love you anymore". It was out of the blue for me. We had no fights so I really don't know what the hell happened. But it happened and whats done it's done. He continued lying to me after the breakup. He was initiating friendship at first and then would want to get back together, and then back off again. He lied about how he is cool about us going for a coffee, and then bail in the last moment. When I asked him why he just said that he has a feeling that I still care too much and he wasn't comfortable with it so he bailed. So yeah, he is the type of a person who won't tell it straight up but make excuses in hope you get the hint. This happened few times while we were together as well.

The thing is, after the breakup, I never really trusted him with anything. The breakup was enough reason for me to stop believing him even if he said that sky is blue I wouldn't believe him. I'm still not sure if this is a normal feeling? But my question is if he lied before and always the same way, will he always? I told him I don't want to be friends friends since he lied about being okay with it, but who knows maybe one day. I am friends with all of my exes and I would honestly like if we could also be ones one day, since he was my first serious and long relationship. I just think he's a liar and I can't be friends like that, it would look like it's ok to lie. Do you think he will stop lying eventually?

47

Most Helpful Guy

• He may do but he's done it to you once and now he seems confused and that's due to mixing his own head with his lies. In time friendship might work but not yet you need to stay away and let him. know its over and maybe he will learn lessons from his actions and change

What Guys Said 6

• nope a person can always change actually... but if he's lyin often then chances r he won't change easily

• I used to lie a lot, and by "a lot" I mean all the time. I changed, and I believe it's hard but definitely possible for everyone to change in that regard. It's totally natural that you don't believe him anymore and I definitely think you shouldn't unless you think he REALLY changed. Be careful with friendship because friendship requires trust and no trust = no friendship.

• Liars are selfish, weird people. They don't change unless it's in their interests (when people wise up to the bullshit) and if they do; the change is usually only temporary.

• Once a liar always a liar... seen it so many times...

• no, people can change.

• Sounds like he may be a pathological liar... so, no, I don't think he will stop.

What Girls Said 4

• He is not only a liar of a loser boyfriend here, dear, but as a 'Friend,' Not in deed and one you do Not.. Need.
    He is now what I call a "Fair weather friend" till the end. He will always find something, no matter what title you slap on the both of you to con you And... Give you the blues.
    Good luck. xx

• similar situation. he's a con man. run

• My ex recently did the same thing to me. I'm still not over him, how are you coping with the situation?

• If I knew I wouldn't be here. :D I guess I'm just accepting that he is a pathological liar and that there is nothing I or anyone else can do about it. He needs to grow up. He doesn't want to be judged so he is lying to look better in other's people eyes. I can look through a lot of things but I can't overlook lying, so therefor this is a huge turn off for me and it's making it easier to move on.

• Yes you can't trust him anymore