If you broke up with your boyfriend /girlfriend?

If you broke up with your boyfriend /girlfriend would you still keep in contact? What would be your reasons to keep in contact if you haven't agreed to stay friends?

54

Most Helpful Guy

• Unless you have children together, there is no good reason to maintain contact. People rarely remain friends after a breakup. They agree to that because one feels guilty and the other is hoping for reconciliation, but guilt won't sustain a friendship and the other one eventually figures that a reconciliation is never going to happen, so then they go separate ways. Trying to stay friends just prolongs the process, which might be okay if it is so unbearably painful that you need to process it in little bits and pieces rather than all at once.

What Guys Said 3

• No, I would move on. Staying in contact, even if it is just a sliver of contact, will always be a small distraction and conflict of interest with the next relationship. I would not want my SO talking with her ex.

• No, I make a clean break and establish a no contact rule. It makes getting over a breakup a lot quicker and easier.

• I wouldn't keep in contact with her unless we agreed to be friends because I don't want to string her along and make her think we might get back together eventually

What Girls Said 5

• no, i most likely wouldn't. depending on if we broke up on good terms or not, i can't really see any reason to keep talking to him.

• I would have to because we have a baby together.-.

• I would not.

• Honestly staying friends with ex is just plain awkward.. If you agree to stay friends with him good for you but its hard to stay friends with an ex especially if they hurt you

• Some people do it because they want to continue receiving the benefits of their previous relationship while not contributing anything positive to it.