Taking a break after 5 years being together? Why?

So my girlfriend of 5 years tells me that her view on life has changed. We are both 25, i'm working full time and she's on her last year of university. She says she wants to learn more on how to live her life by herself and learn new things etc. (nothing about other guys or dating others was mentioned) i've balled out my feelings for her and respect her decision but I also said she completes my life etc. and everything else on how much she means to me, she said she's not ready for a relationship at the moment due to her decision and career focus and she did say i do still have a place in her heart... what do I do? how should I go about this?

23

Most Helpful Guy

• Your relationship is over. She doesn't love you in the way that you want to be loved. There is a possibility that she has met someone else who has captured her attention. When she said that you "still have a place in her heart,' she was just letting you down easy.

This is a lousy thing to have happen after investing so much time in a relationship. Going through a breakup like this is like mourning the loss of a loved one. Allow yourself time to grieve, call on friends to give you support, remember the good times, learn your lessons both good and bad, and then move on.

Good luck!

What Girls Said 2

• This is exactly why i feel like getting married after 2 years is a good thing. Often people say Marriage is only a piece of paper but IS NOT! And it makes me so angry when people say it is. Marriage is two people become one through a different kind of commitment than just a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship. When you aren't married after 5 years I feel like it's a waste if either one wanted to get our, it's super easy like poof and we are done like she has just done here. That being said, You probably should've married her if you liked her so much. That whole relationship seemed like a waste of time while you could've found someone that really loved you and wanted to spend their life with you.

• I think you need to decide whether you are splitting up to see other people or not because that will have a massive effect on how it plays out. Its understandable with you both being young and being together for so long that she would want to concentrate on building a career and maybe feels she can't do that and manage a relationship at the same time but there is nothing to say she can't have it all.

What Guys Said 2

• Well, usually this means another man. Sorry. She might have decided you aren't right for a partner. Usually that also means another guy... women dont cut loose the old man until they have a reason. That reason is usually a new guy

• follow your heart and wait for the time