If a wife cheats on his husband once and confesses about it then can the husband get divorced without paying compensation?

63

Most Helpful Girl

• No. If she leaves him for adultery, she is entitled to alimony regardless of his confession.

• Then what can he do?

• I am so sorry guys, I misread to think HE cheated on her and confessed.

Yes, if she cheated a good lawyer will be able to fight alimony.

So so sorry for misreading this.

• Its fine... thank you..

Most Helpful Guy

• If the cheating was the direct cause of the divorce, then yes. Such actions often make prenup agreements void, but you'll have to check with your lawyer because laws may be different in various US states or in Canadian provinces. This applies to marriages without prenups, and compensation.

Compensation to the wife is typically given if the wife was a homemaker. If she was a working wife, compensation may be given if the income difference between husband and wife were substantially different (i. e., you make millions, she makes $50k/year). The reason being that the law decides that both parties are entitled to maintaining the same lifestyle for some time (1 year) after a divorce.

If she was getting compensation and found another man, that compensation becomes void.

• I understood... thank you for the informationinformation n advice

What Girls Said 5

• Only if there was a cheater clause in the prenup. If not then you may get out with paying less, but adultery does not equal not paying alimony/child support.

• he should..

• I have no idea - ask your lawyer.

• If the wife cheats I don't think she deserves a penny tbh. But I would imagine that's what gets discussed before getting married.

• @whattothink yeah all i know is the cheater clause! but i'd google it and talk to a lawyer. :)

What Guys Said 2

• Depends how good the lawyer is.

The same situation happened to a co-worker. He ended up paying out $500,000.

• Wait... who's cheating on who?