Is it normal to cry for days and hours after a breakup?

118

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah totally normal.. it took me over a year to get over my first girlfriend ( ex)
    and yes i did express lot of emotions it hurts all over to lose
    someone that you love it's like a death hits you.. The thing is no
    matter what girl i tried talking to did not change my mind i couldn't
    get feelings for a new girl so it was like a good while to it sunk in.

Most Helpful Girl

• If you have zero sort of reaction to breaking up and you just easily move on with your life, that's a great indication that the relationship/person meant little to you or it was just such a horrible relationship that you are actually incredibly glad to be free and rid of them vs. those you do feel something for, some type of meaningful connection and though it still didn't work out, you are in a way mourning the loss of what was and what could have been. It's going to take some time, can even take a few months depending how involved you/your heart was, but if it gets to a point where you literally cannot function anymore and you're in bed all day everyday crying, can't go to work/school/deal with life, then it's best you see someone, but other then that, having a case of the feels is normal and good for you to help you deal with what's happening.

What Guys Said 7

• It's more common for girls, but yeah it can last for days or even weeks. On the good side, girls often move on faster. Finding another guy - if even just to hang out with - will help forget about the ex.

For guys, we tend to be ok after a breakup. Then after a few months or even a year later, we'll look back and be sad about it.

• Yup, I had some sad breakups and I cried to myself but eventually you have to pick yourself up and move on but that's different for everyone. It's good to let it out and feel sadness for something that has ended, even on good terms.

• Sure. Not unusual at all.

• Yup. If you really meant a lot that is normal.

I think it would be abnormal not too cry for less than a day.

• I certainly did, and I was a 34 year old male.

And it was longer than days for me...

• Yes, that's standard practice for a lot of people.

• your heart broken

What Girls Said 10

• I wouldn't say it's "normal" because everyone deals with their break ups in different ways, however I remember distinctly one time I couldn't shower without crying and just sitting in the shower, it only lasted for a couple days though haha.

• Yes, you are going through heart break.
    I cried for months daily.

• Normal? Yes. Healthy? Perhaps not. If your depressive state lasts longer than three months, you need to see a doctor. That is a clinical depression.

• Yeah that's completely normal... it's also normal to crack out the sappy movies and the pints of icecream

• yes it is. it is normal whether he broke up with you or you with him. it has been nine months since my ex broke up with me and honestly i still cry. overtime i have met so many great guys but no one compares to my first☝🏼️when stuff like this happens you always feel unwanted and lonely. i know i always felt so used.

• Think I cried for months :( Not on daily basis, but just saying, that's how long it takes and it's still counting :(

• Sure it is. There's no set time that you need to be over your breakup.

• Yes, he must've really meant something to you if so

• Not unusual, you have had a lose. So grieving is a normal reaction.

• GIRL i just broke up w. My boyfriend & im not shedding no tears for him 🙅