How long should you wait to be friends with your ex-boyfriend?

My boyfriend of 2 years broke up, but it was pretty mutual. We still like each other, but it was just hard for both of us to continue dating and we've both talked about staying as friends. I'm just not sure how long i'm supposed to "not see him" or give him space until we can hang out again and be okay.

82

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• I always say I want to be friends, but i never mean it. Seems friendship is just a way to hang on, and I see more people here wasting time obsessing over whether the person wants them back, the fact that the ex isn't very close to them, or trying to find hidden meanings behind everything the ex says or does. Staying "friends" is an anchor that keeps one or the other ex-partner from moving on.

I'd let it roll until (if) he initiates contact about the friendship.

What Guys Said 1

• An ex should be considered dead. They aren't alive, and you can't speak to dead people.

What Girls Said 7

• Depends on the exes and it depends how your future partners feel about it. Sometimes it's best to not look back and look forward instead. I think your (next) future boyfriend will thank you for that.

• I think there is no specific time range. You can be friends with each other when you have absolutely Zero feelings for him. You can be friends when he doesn't cross your mind every 2 hours and your stomach isn't filled with dead butterflies when you see him. That's when the friendship with your ex can begin.

• You should stay away from each other until you lose all your feelings for each other and only have purely friendly ones , no matter how long that would take. So don't rush things and just take your time

• I don't think that is a good idea. Is it really necessary if you have a need to be friends with an e then you are probably not over each other and it can get in the way of healing or moving on.

• Lean in, I want to tell you a secret-
    .
    .
    .
    closer...
    .
    .
    .
    YOU NEVER BECOME FRIENDS WITH AN EX!

• Don't wait at all

• wait a few months.