How to end a relationship?

How do you break up with such a lovely guy? I truly don't want to hurt him, but I cannot stay in a relationship where I am unhappy (my feelings have changed.)

35

Most Helpful Guy

• Quickly and respectfully.

Most Helpful Girl

• well, it is hard, so i get u.

the way i did it was just think of both our happiness. at the time i knew i had to move on, but i also knew i would be causing someone a lot of harm. i think the key is to be honest. say how u feel, and also include how hard it is for you. explain how much you mean to him.

if u really respect him, you'll leave sooner because you dont want to mislead him. if he is a kind man he'll appreciate your honesty even if it hurts. wish him all the luck in the world and just let him know youd still love to be on good terms.

What Guys Said 4

• You say he's a lovely guy but you don't love him anymore... why cast out a good guy and than take a chance meeting a douchebag. Just tell him the usual breakup BS... he's a great guy, Yada yada, it's not you its me... yada yada, you get the picture

• lol ya why not it makes no differences he's not getting laid anymore XD

• I didn't say that he wouldn't be hurt. I said I don't want to hurt him, but I cannot stay with him when my feelings have changed. (Accepting the fact that he will be hurt.)

His feelings haven't changed, he's talking about us moving in together etc. I wish they had changed.

Thanks for everyone's opnions, much appreciated :-)

• I know you asked how to end the relationship without hurting him, the simple fact is he will probably be hurt... especially if he's at the point of moving in... this blow will be devestating to him.

• Sis, All the break up are hurts, You just need to tell him the true. Maybe he will just feel hurt for short !

• How long have you been together?

• girl friend broke up with me she did it well but we had make up sex and im her friends with benefits i thing i don't truly know where we sit , only that we aren't dating but still act like we are without the i love you stuff

What Girls Said 2

• Why did your feelings change? Did something happened? Dig deep into it and I'm sure you will find a reason. Feelings don't just change like that, there must be something about him that changed. Communication is the key and you should talk to him about what's bothering you before you make the stupidest decision ever. He is gonna feel like crap if you don't give him a valid reason why your feelings disappeared. And if you really can't see what is it about him, then the problem is you and you are gonna keep having the same problem over and over again with every guy. It may seem like the best solution to just give up and walk away, but it is gonna come back, until you choose to face it.

• Thanks for your advice.

I know why my feelings have changed and I will be mentioning all of my reasons to him. Thanks again :-)

• And you are sure that there is nothing that can be done for your feelings to return? If you were in a long term relationship then loosing a spark is a normal thing and it can come back. It goes away and it comes back, none of the couples who are married for 30 years had that lust feeling about each other every single day. People just overthink and make a huge deal out of it, which is immature. My ex broke up with me 4 months ago because he lost his feelings for me and he never really gave me a reason why. He felt it for some time but never wanted to talk about it, he kept it inside until he couldn't do it anymore. That was the first mistake, if he told me sooner we could've tried to fix it. Guess what? He came begging me to take him back and is still trying, he is aware he made a stupid decision. There was no third person involved in our breakup though, but if it was in yours, if you started liking someone else, then you are just a piece of shit. Sorry if I'm wrong.

• best be sure this is what you want.

• Hahha I'm sorry to tell you this.
    But breaking up without hurting him? That's not going to happen, unless his feelings changed too.

The best way to break up is to be honest about it, and break it up In Person. Don't you dare doing it over text... EVER

• "I don't want to hurt him, but my feelings have changed" meaning: I understand that me breaking up with him is going to hurt him, but I cannot stay with him when my feelings have changed.

• Well just be honest about it though!