Has anyone heard of marrying someone just to stay in America?

I know someone from another country that is here on a work visa,I don't know how long they are good for, but its been 3 years since he's been over here. He met a lady and they married after 8 months. I didn't know if people married just to stay here or what. thanks

So if his Visa was getting ready to expire he would of had to go back to his country if he had not married this person, correct?

21

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes it happens all the time. Most situations the person who wants the visa pays you 1000's of dollars for you 2 do it.

What Guys Said 1

• Marriages of convenience happen all the time. This is one convenience that marriage affords some that is the sole reason they marry, yes. Doesn't mean that is the scenario in this case though, but it does happen.

• To the update, yes, that is correct. But if you marry a citizen of a different country then you 'marry into the land' so to speak and don't have to abide by 'visitor' rules anymore.

What Girls Said 1

• Yes I have heard of that before. People have done that. One of the managers in my food court asked this girl if she would marry her nephew! She said no!