Would you ever divorce someone because your husband/wife got fat?

I would never do this but I know some men who admitted they would.

52

Most Helpful Guy

• It depends.

If I was married and my wife got up to a point where she was overweight but NOT obese/morbidly obese, I would remain married to her. If she reached the point of obesity, I could deal with it, although it would ruin my sex drive.

If she was to the point where she was morbidly obese (we're talking people who have a hard time walking), I couldn't remain married. I would feel like a caretaker at this point.

What Guys Said 1

• No. I would just encourage her to lose weight because I love her and wants her to be in good health.

What Girls Said 5

• Being willing to divorce someone for gaining weight is like divorcing someone for going grey. You KNOW your partner won't still look like a 20 year old in her/his 60s, so don't promise "til death do you part" if you only want them in their physical prime.

For the record, I find as I age that I lose interest in the boys I thought were hot years ago and am much more attracted to the salt-and-pepper crowd now.

• Nope but I would try to encourage them to try and lose all that extra fat. Since I would want them to live as long as possible and be healthy. :)

• If it is due to illness, then of course not but if he is just being lazy, then I will motivate him to exercise and eat healthy foods with me.

I don't think I will be able to divorce him just for that.

Plus, I would not want him to go overweight. That is unhealthy.

• I don't plan on getting married, but I wouldn't leave any boyfriend for the fact that they gained weight/got fat. That's shallow, you fell in love with their personality not their weight.

• No. If their face got ugly I would, but not if they gained weight. Things happen and people gain weight. I broke up with my ex because he got a scar on his face though. I couldn't handle it.