Would you return an extremely expensive gift your partner gave you before break up?

So my cousin recently broke up with her partner who happen to give her a very expensive present not long ago, things were normal until something came up and they broke up, I don't actually know what happened but, my cousin has decided not to tell me the reason. I sensed some worries in my cousin I asked her and she tells me her boyfriend is demanding for the expensive gift he gave her since they aren't together, I was like WTF? she shouldn't return it since its a gift, a gift is a gift!! what do you think, should she return it or not?

• A. she should keep it a gift is a gift
  • B. she should return it
The price of the gift $34,268.98if I got the figures correctly and its a car

718

Most Helpful Guy

• Well I don't want a constant reminder of what an ex gave staring me in the face everyday.. so I'd return it.

On top of that, he most likely hasn't finished paying off the car yet... so why should he continue paying for it over years on end for someone who's no longer with him?

• Your comment is funny, but he's rich so its not on loan, he could afford twice

• Of course cousin owns it

• Well then legally it is her car but morally speaking I think she should give it back especially since he asked for it.

Most Helpful Girl

• Tell her to End the madness and Not to drive herself crazy, @iman1998. It was a Gift from the "EX" who gave it to her to Begin with, whose Mark was a Huge X in his softie spot, and he should Not be what I call an "Indian Gift Giver' because he is this bad sport with a Breakup with maybe No makeup.
    Tell her to Not to forget to give you a joy ride on her Ex's doting dollar.
    Good luck and she has my blessings. xx

• Thanks a lot haha, that's encouraging and I absolutely agree with you, he's such a loser

• Awww you are such a nice person

• Why, thank you so much, sweetie.. Also, when I see something that is right, I will say it and if I see something wrong, I put That in gear as well. lol:)) xx

What Guys Said 17

• Expensive is a relative term. It also depends on if the "gift" was intended as a gift by the giver. I remember I loaned 400 bucks to a girl I was dating and when we broke up she started playing it off like it was a gift. I got the money back.

If it was intended as a gift, then you do not have to return it. However, it might be worth less of a headache if you return the gift and it could possibly avoid a lengthy court battle, or harassment by the gift giver.

• I think he should be ashamed for asking for a gift back, just because is expensive

• Like I said, it's not necessarily about the gift. It could be an excuse to justify anger. It could just be because he feels used. Who knows what he's really thinking besides himself?

• And my cousin has refused to tell me the cause of the break up, that I find strange

• Depends on 2 things
    1) was the break up her fault or his fault?
    2) how big a bite did this take out of him?
    ..
    if it was her fault they broke up she should give it back regardless.
    If it was his fault, and giving her a car is like a guy like me giving my girlfriend a rose, then keep it.
    if this is a hardship for him in any way, she should give it back.

• Pizza on him , it was a gift and she should keep it

• Of course she should return it to him.. Even if It's a gift it is still his property!!! cause he bought it will his money.. and it's not a small gift...
    More that thing are over she should return it to him... $34,268 is not a small price

And by the way it also depends on why they broke up... Of your cousin cheated they she fluent deserve the gift what so ever

• Hell no! I'm gonna ebay that shit.

• Legally she is not obligated to return a gift but I think in some cases it would be the right thing for her to do. For example, if he bought her a $900 engagement ring or something, yeah, she should probably give that back since she doesn't plan on marrying him. But if he bought her like a $100 pair of panties from Victoria's Secret, I can't see why he would want those back. Really depends on the gift and how long after it was received when she dumped him.

• Its really expensive I just don't won't to mention the price, because I believe a lot of people will tell her to return it

• And I also don't know why my cousin has refused to tell me the cause of the break up

• Probably either because she's the bad guy or because it's some trivial bullshit she started.

• It's a gift she should keep it and if i gave a girl things we broke up
    i would never ask for them things back that's just not right.

• It is a gift plus I do not want something to remember her.

• A gift is a gift. As soon as it leaves your hands, it's no longer your property, despite buying it.

• That sucks but simplest solution is to give it back and stop it there.

• Why should she give it back? wasn't it a gift

• Yeah it was gift which is not meant to be returned but all people are not same, so sometimes you take the short way just to get a rid of him.

• I don't want to remember them. I would probably sell it for cash.

• Keep it, it was a gift

• it could ruin future relationships.

• Not wanting my husband to see gift from ex doesn't mean you should necessarily return the gifts back

• then, you obviously haven't moved on and still think about him. that's one of the reasons why relationships don't work. they are entered in way too lightly.

• A gift is a gift.

• Lmaoo well it was his bucks

• depends, did she cheat?
    cause if she cheated then the gift was given under false pretense of loyalty. you don't give booty calls expensive gifts.
    but if it was just a break up cause things didn't work out then my opinion would be no.

• Kk, thanks but what I find quite strange is my cousin has refused to tell me what caused the break up

• I gave a girl something expensive and she kept it after we broke up, I suppose I'd given it to her but it was the week before we broke up, not returning it made me think she was a bloodsucker.

What Girls Said 6

• Since he is asking for it I think she shiuld give it back not for his sake but for the sake of not having that expensive trash he bought to her ;) she doesn't need to have anything from a man that regreted a gift (regardless its price) he gave to his girlfriend when they broke up, I mean when he gave it to her he thought that she deserved it and because they had some fight he decided that she doesn't deserve it? She can hit him whit that gift in the face -_-

• Dating is an expense. When you start giving back gifts and start nickel and diming what you spent in the relationship, no amount can give you back your precious time that you spent with them that you could have with someone better. No, I don't think so, if either person was given something, it will be up to them to give it back, but the person who gave a gift should not be demanding it back. Relationships are a risk, and if you give a gift, you shouldn't put a condition on it, just like you can't with the time you invest in someone.

• Thanks, a very sensible opinion, I honestly don't want my cousin to return that gift

• No, and so she shouldn't if she doesn't want to. An asset is the only thing that needs to be divided such as owning a home, a car, a boat. But trinkets and gifts, those were given to bring pleasure to someone. They are up to the person who receives them what they should do with them, not the giver. Though people might say "what do you want that for" or "you weren't together that long" a gift is still a gift. Period.

• I'd personally return it before he even had the chance to ask for it back (even though I'd never accept something like that in the first place)
    It was a gift so it is an ass move to demand her to return it.
    I mean.. I'd return it, but I don't think she's wrong for not wanting to because he already gave it to her.
    I think it's stupid to give someone something then take it back.

• Yeah me too i think its crazy to give someone something then demand for it again, but why won't you accept a gift like that if your partner can afford it

• Good, I guess so expensive gift can be dangerous

• Completely agree with you, 'that is simple way to end everything' @izzerx3

• Hello, I'm keeping it! It's a gift and in her name.

This had to have been a bad breakup. The only way I would say she should give it back is if she was the cause of the breakup (like cheating or something).

• I don't think he has the right to demand that she return it, as a gift is a gift, but I definitely would return it anyway. I wouldn't want to keep such an expensive thing from someone I'm not together with anymore.

• She should keep the gift