Why is there so much divorce today as opposed to years ago?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• People now more than ever are convinced that their lives are all about THEM. Forget the spouse. . . forget the children. . . pursue what YOU WANT.

2|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• People aren't social outcasts anymore for being divorced.

0|0
    0|0

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 12

• I don't know if that's an accurate statement.

The "total number of divorces" in 2014 is not that substantially higher than the total number of divorces in 2004.

The "divorce rate" in 2014 is somewhat statistically significantly higher than the "divorce rate" in 2004 (e. g., divorces per married couples, as opposed to "total number of divorces").

One factor that is in play is "population growth." Despite unemployment, despite an increasing cost of living and flat wages, governments (supposedly with the best interest of its population at heart) are still pushing for populations to continue to grow (cough... because it cheapens the cost of labor and helps businesses remain profitable at the workers' expense notwithstanding a flat GDP growth... cough).

Nevertheless, despite the population growing, less and less people are actually getting married. The two social trends that have governments worried right now are: (a) people delaying having children or choosing to not have children at all, and (b) people delaying getting married or choosing to not get married at all. "Atheism" has sort of lost significance, because the decline in population growth from a dwindling birth rate, and the decline of "privatized social welfare" from a decline in marriage rates has a direct impact on a government's finances.

Marriage is just a contract. That's all it is. And men are giving the female subcommunication script of "love" the finger as they politely (or not so politely) decline the cries and pleas for marriage. The State ends up crying, because one of the key terms in the marriage contract for all states is the "legal obligation to support one's spouse during marriage, and AFTER MARRIAGE if there is a risk that the former spouse will become a public charge (i. e., go on welfare, medicare, medicaid, receive food stamps, subsidized housing, and other public assistance or social benefits)." In other words, the reason the State is so interested in "marriage" is because it would rather have private individuals paying for private individuals, rather than the government paying for private individuals.

People are like clown fish. Social poison might work for the first 200 years, but eventually they become immune. So, rather than contract a pre-nupt to void "some but not all" of the terms of the marriage contract, people just don't expose themselves to ANY legal/financial risk to begin with and don't get married all together.

0|0
    0|0
    • The people who don't get married are usually couples who are more intelligent, make more rational decisions, and are better at communicating (e. g., one person's ideas or opinions don't get shot down, sabotaged, or receive guilt-tripping and shaming just because they're inconsistent with the other person's ideas or opinions). As a result, rather than spending $80,000+ on a wedding, that money (100% equity) is instead invested in starting a business or buying a home or saving for their children's education, etc.

Compare and contrast the legal/financial choices of many people who do not have the mental and emotional capacity to avoid getting married. Who is "left" in this population of married people? It's like a portfolio of toxic sub-prime mortgages waiting to default. These are people who, on average, make less well-reasoned, and more emotional choices, and are not as good at communicating. If that's your sample group, then you can expect the divorce "rate" to increase.

• Because some people get married too fast these days and people are way less likely to solve even tiny marriage problems. People are much more selfish to and everyone just breaks up.

0|0
    0|0
    • Nothing to do with the question..

But Congratulations on graduating!!! 😊

• Show All
    • Haha I know, absolutely will be hours if they picked up everyone at there door step 😅 I wish you good luck! Hope you get it!

• @mooky06 Hahaha only saying lmao... I hope I get it to. They are the only company I know that picks their workers up.

• Likely because it is more accepted today. I think there are loads of cases of couples back then who stuck it out because it was socially unaccepted to think about divorce, but they hated each other and had a toxic marriage. Plus there is more possibility for dating and life after marriage now than then.

0|0
    0|0
  • 1. People abusing the law (getting married just so they can leave and take everything)
    2. Selfishness. Most people aren't willing to work at a relationship. Once they're not being satisfied, they just leave instead of trying to work through it. In other words, people aren't really falling in love; they're falling in love with the idea of being in love. Once "love" looks like it's gone, they bail.

0|0
    0|0
  • There are literally divorce incentives. Look them up.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because it isn't illegal.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because you CAN divorce. It used to be illegal whether you were happy or not.

0|0
    0|0
  • True Colours.

0|0
    0|0
  • people give up too easily these days

0|0
    0|0
  • the media.

0|0
    0|0
  • Cuz we realized there is always better pu$$y somewhere else

0|0
    0|0
  • If you look at the statistics the divorce rate has jumped every time the law was changed to make it easier to do.

The big change lately has been fewer people getting married in the first place.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 4

• Divorce used to be less easy to obtain. There were less opportunities for single parents to survive alone. More stigma attached to separating.

0|1
    0|0
  • Women became a strong presence in the workforce. They no longer depended on their husbands to support them. This independence allowed them to leave an unhappy marriage and still provide for themselves.

Divorce also became more acceptable. The guilt and fault of the old divorce laws were gone. As more couples separated, divorce gradually became a normal part of life.

In short, many couples that would have previously remained married now chose divorce.

0|0
    0|1
  • I think because people get married too fast and also because people don't have that stick with it and make it work no matter what attitude anymore. Divorce it too easy. Marriage is too easy.

0|0
    0|0
  • because people leave now if they're unhappy instead of forcing themselves to stay with the person they hate

0|0
    0|0
Loading... ;