How do I break up with someone?

This is my first relationship, so I've never been dumped, nor have I ever dumped someone before, but I realized that our relationship is only physical, and I want more. How do I end things with her?

54

Most Helpful Girl

• Tell her either face to face, or whatever is Good for you here, dear, that you are Not ready for a Real Relationship, and that you are Not 'Good for her' and she should move on to Someone who is better all way round.
    I have to Admit that it does my heart Good to see an honest John say that he wants more than 'Physical.'
    Good luck. xx

Most Helpful Guy

• 1. You tell him in person.

2. If you are afraid that he will react crazy, have him meet you for lunch somewhere public.

3. Do it during the day because more crazy stuff happens at night.

4. Tell a good friend what you are doing and promise to report to them as soon as it is done.

5. Be very matter of fact about your reasons. Don't sound like you are not sure of your decision. But don't be mean to him, either.

6. Don't state anything that gives him any reason to think that there is any hope.

7. Don't feel that you must convince him that you have a good reason.

8. Don't try to soften the blow by telling him that maybe you can remain friends.

9. Don't use lame lines like, "You're a great guy and you'll meet somebody else who will be better for you." Guys get angry when they hear that stuff.

10. Tell him that you thought about it long enough to know that you will not change your mind.

11. Ask him to not contact you anymore and immediately delete him from your social media.

12. Do not respond if he tries to contact you afterwards.

13. For a few weeks afterwards, avoid going to places where you might encounter him.

14. Ask yourself why this relationship didn't work and don't minimize your role in the reasons. You want to learn from this so that you don't repeat the mistake.

15. Make plans to keep yourself busy and distracted for a few days afterwards.

16. Do not, under any circumstances, let loneliness or guilt interfere with the breakup. After the breakup, if you call or text him, you have reset the clock and it will be even more difficult to breakup the next time.

17. If you feel any desire to run back to him, have a friend who you can call who will talk you out of it.

Good luck!

• After I posted this, I realized that it was male asking the question and not a female. Apologies!

What Girls Said 4

• Just tell her it's not what you want

• Maybe instead of just dumping her you should tell her you want something more than just physical and see if she wants the same?

• Just say "you're a nice person hun but this just got to weird for me" and hang up 😊 should sum it up

• You tell her what you just told us, that you want more from a relationship and don't think you're compatible. You tell her that in person, not over text or phone or something like that. It's never easy to break up with someone, just make sure you're honest and don't make promises you don't intend to keep or give her false hope.

What Guys Said 3

• Just be honest with her and tell her that you don't want this kind of relationship that's only physical, you are uncomfortable with this one. I am sure she will understand, she should. If she still doesn't then you have no choice but to start avoiding her, I hope it won't happen like that.

• Tell her that you want more and give her a chance to give you what you are looking for. Communicate to her what both of you are looking for before you end it. She might not know what you want, so let her know.

The conversation won't be easy, but so what. Relationships take work if they are to stay.

• Just tell her that you wanna move on!