Is Lack of Sympathy a Deal Breaker in a Relationship?

I've been going out with this guy for a couple of weeks.
I don't love him. I'm not crazy about him. he's okay. I went out with him because he was very persistent and good looking. he seemed like a nice guy.
Anyway , my Pet rabbit just died. and I wad very frustrated because I didn't notice he was sick and he died right in my arms. He texted me? I texted back. he asked my what's wrong I told him crying my eyes out. He said :' he'll make a great rabbit stew". with stupid smiley faces. I was shocked , then I cried and I ended up getting mad and I told him it wasn't okay to say that , he said :' it's just an animal" that got me even angrier. I didn't reply , he texted back : " what about me ! you love me " he always does that. it's like the world revolves around him and him only. In my mind I was like : " No Fucker ! I love my dead Rabbit way more , at least he knows how to show compassion and warmth"
Anyway. I've had it this time. I'm just making sure I'm not overreacting.
thank you or your help.

2120

Most Helpful Guy

• That is a huge epic failure on his part. Total douche. I would break up, that would be the last straw. So new in a relationship people usually over try to make you happy and this guy just threw all that away by his stupid insensitive comments. Like you said, he is totally just thinking about him self and is totally self centred with no regard to you or what is important to you. Don't waste anymore time with him. I am sorry about your rabbit!

• thank you :') he's in a better place, I hope.

Most Helpful Girl

• A guy who shows no compassion is a dealbreaker for me

He had no consideration for your feelings at all. Even if he had no sympathy for your rabbit dying he should have still showed compassion towards you. It would concern me very much if my boyfriend saw me upset and in despair , but never showed care and consideration

Your boyfriend should be comforting you regardless if he cared or not about your rabbit dying. If he can see you in emotional pain and not offer you comfort, then he obviously doesn't care about you.

You deserve a guy who will be there for you in times of need. Who will support you through any anything life throws at you.

I hope you do end it, because there's lots of guys out there who will be there for you and share your pain... even if they don't feel it. Good luck 💜😊 xx

• Thank you. I was thinking the same thing over and over again...
      I'm going through a rough time and with SnowBall dying, it's been very hard but he brings nothing comforting to my door... it's frustrating. and I have to deal with his shit too...

• Thank you :'(
      If it's not sympathy , Empathy would do too !

• Exactly! If he has suffered a loss in his past then he should be able to relate to how you feel, because he has felt the same way , therefore he should display empathy towards you. Even if he hasn't suffered a loss he should show sympathy towards you, by comforting you and acknowledging how you feel.

Personally, i think it is quite disturbing for someone not to display empathy or sympathy , and i would be avoiding them at all costs 😃💜