Would you divorce someone who drinks too much alcohol?

I would. I couldn't be married to some lazy, drunk slob.

616

Most Helpful Guy

• Only in the most extreme cases, I would divorce an alcoholic. As you stated, it usually leads to laziness and they don't care about anything. Not to mention most alcoholics experiment with illegal and hardcore drugs as well.

However, for the most part, I could work with someone with an addiction problem. I would get my wife in rehab and counseling as often as possible. I would even temporarily support her if I had to. I'm just not sure how long I could handle it.

Luckily, I don't plan on being married for awhile and most women I come across are sober. I probably won't have to deal with this issue.

What Guys Said 15

• Since you feel that way, you shouldn't be married to someone who is an alcoholic. But what if someone did not become an alcoholic until after you had been married for 10 years and you had 2 children?

These types of decisions are influenced much more by feelings than rational thoughts, and you will not know how you feel about the situation until you are actually in those circumstances.

This is analogous to how people feel about the death penalty. You may be a staunch opponent of the death penalty but if your daughter is raped and murdered, you may change the way you feel about the death penalty (and maybe you won't change how you feel about it, but it is certainly possible.)

• most people aren´t just "lazy, drunk slobs" they have psychological problems and need your help. would be really low to leave a person as soon as they need your help.

though i wouldn´t get with such a person in the first place... but if they got like this later on, i´d try everything to help them first.

• divorce?
    Why did you even get into marrying someone who in your opinion "drink too much then"?

• Well, I wouldn't marry her at all.
    BUt let's say she became a drunk after I married her. I would not divorce if she shows that she wants to change. Otherwise I would divorse her.

• It depends how much is too much, like lets face it, quite a few people drink above the "recommended" amount, but they can still live fully functional lives :) I think if i was married to an Alcoholic where it damaged day to day life and especially REFUSED to get help then i would

• i drink all the time and im a fit research scientist. i just like getting drunk and playing video games a few times a week

• Yes of course... A little drinking during parties and all is very fine but an alcohol addict in women who is drunk all the time is bad... yup divorce

• I would try getting them help

• No, i would help my girl until she was healthy.

• I wouldn't be with someone who is a heavy drinker in the first place.

• Yes, I most definitely would.

• Alcoholics can be functioning and have a fulltime job, depends on circumstances.

• If you know earlier you shouldn't be married.

• yea i would definetley

• Even if he was filthy rich, and VERY physically attractive?

What Girls Said 6

• It depends.

If I got into the relationship and this person didn't have a drinking problem... but later on developed it during the course of our relationship, I would take my vows seriously and be there for that person.
    I would do everything possible to help that person conquer their addiction.
    If they got to the point (of no return) where they literally lost everything (their job, they steal, they lie, sell the clothes off their back for just another drink), then I would have to leave.
    I can not be with someone who wants help.
    Of course me living... would come after numerous attempts of me trying.

On the other hand,

If I know someone is an alcoholic before entering into a relationship with them,
    I wouldn't marry that person.
    That's just asking for trouble.

• *I can not be with someone who DOESN'T want help (correction)

• I meant leave as in "goodbye" a divorce

• And yes I see ur point

• If it ruined the way I saw them, aka was very sloppy, unattractive, and especially if they were a changed person no, I coudnt deal with not knowing what version of them I will get especially if they let alcohol take control of their life.

• Depends on how they act and how often and if I also have the opportunity to drink WITH them

• I would do whatever I could to get it to stop. When your in love with someone it's very hard to leave even when they have a serious problem. I guess it would also depend on if they were an angry drunk. If they still made it to work, if they still did things they needed to do etc. If it basically got so bad to where it would interfere with daily and normal things etc. It could be a deal breaker and I would possibly want a divorce.

• Yes, I've seen families being destroyed by alcoholism, it's horrible.

• yeah when it becomes a problem i would