Would you divorce someone for becoming unhealthy in some way?

Like, let's say someone was diagonosed with a disease, or someone had a heart attack due to an unhealthy lifestyle, etc. Would you divorce them because you felt they would die young?

3220

Most Helpful Guy

• No, I wouldn't divorce someone for health reasons. If you ask me, this is incredibly shallow.

Let's say I'm married to a woman for 30 years and she's diagnosed with cancer, could you imagine how much of a heartless prick I must be for divorcing her? Even if it could be blamed on her lifestyle choices, this is still a sick thing.

Health is irrelevant to me for dating.

• Amazing, all the obese women must just love you!

• @UnknownXYZ I've never had a girlfriend in my life and I turn 25 in 15 days. So far, no women have "loved" men, even the obese ones.

• :O Have you even been approached by women at all?

And I wasn't talking to you asker.

What Guys Said 19

• cdn.gagbay.com/.../...th_pitcher_of_beer-98644.jpg

I would stop then only if it got extreme (like the picture) and if they didn't try to make a change in their lifestyle. I wouldn't want to watch someone kill themselves over something so preventable.

• No, my wife has already been through and survived cancer and I stayed and supported her the whole way through. I love her far to much to leave her in such a time of need.

• Supporting can make the difference between surviving or not. Sometimes its the mind who decides to continue to fight to stay alive, which can be greatly influenced by people you love :)

• I wouldn't marry someone if I thought their lifestyle would bring them down that bad. That's something you sort out when you're dating.

Now if they had a disease then of course I would stay with them. For sickness and in health. How would you feel if you had a great relationship, but then she left you because of something out of your control like cancer hit you?

• No I wouldn't I would do everything in my power to help them live

• Oh, thats a hard one. My teacher asked us, too in class. He asked "What if your wife/husband would get into a car accident and she/he survives but has to be in a wheelchair for the rest of her/his life? Would you stay? Your whole lifestyle could change." I guess only someone who actually REALLY felt love and not just had a crush and doesn't know how real love feels can answer that question. Of course I wanted to look like a hero infront of the other girls and said "Well, I married her! So of course I stay with her until the very end because I love her!" but honestly.. I dont know man..

• No. "'Til death do us part" and "in sickness and in health" I believe are the vows of marriage. I would work with her to improve her health until the day I die. This is not to say people don't divorce for this reason, because some do. But I would not. I would be quite disappointed if she intentionally led an unhealthy life, but I still wouldn't divorce her. I take my vows seriously, which can't be said the same for a lot of other people.

• No. You're supposed to stand by their side, especially when they need you the most.

• Lol no I would just do everything in my power to make them as healthy as possible.

• No.. if i like u from the very start, ill stay by urside through thick and thin until ur last breath. I would spend every seconds and every minute with u all day everyday wishing us the best of luck and nvr leave yo side for even a sec. Its LUV babay 👄💋

• I would try talking to them and if they don't want change their lifestyle
    to becoming more healthy then I would move on without them

• No if ima marry someone they'll have my love forever

• Would really depend.

Like, if she became a fattie, or smoked, or did drugs? Yeah, probably.

• yes.

I'm an alien not a nice being.

• No way... lol

• no... kind of dim.

• If she got obese it is all about how one respects themselves so I would give a small window and if no improvement I would leave.

• I would not get involved with someone with an unhealthy habit such as smoking or drinking or something that they know would cause them bad health in the future. I don't live like that and want a partner with similar lifestyle

• It depends on the disease. If it could effect my health then I might feel like I have no choice but to divorce them. As long as I know I wasn't in danger, then I wouldn't divorce someone because they were going to die young, I was married to a woman that did get sickly for a while and I did suspect she might die young. I never had the urge to leave her because of it. In the end we did get divorced but it had nothing to do with her health as she had made a full recovery by that time.

• It depends if you're serious about your vows. "In sickness or in health." Ever hear that.

Of course, marriage means shit today. So fucking break up and take his money while he's sick.

What Girls Said 32

• it all depends on the circumstance. Of course I'd like to sit here and say I'd stay with someone I love no matter what... But that just isn't realistic. If it were an illness out of their control than of course I'd be with them. But if it was due to lifestyle I'd either have known before we got involved and cut them out or decided I could deal and stay. People don't change for people, no matter how much we convince ourselves that they can or will. And if they do its usually temporary, or something small like not leaving the toilet seat up all of the time. You kinda learn a person's lifestyle when you meet them, and it's a tragic yet common human flaw that lets us think we can somehow change this lifestyle to better suit our needs/their health. It's ultimately up to them to decide how they live and we are arrogant thinking our love can control it.

• My husband is all paranoid that I'm going to leave him one day when he can no longer get an erection, never mind this stuff! LOL

NO, I wouldn't divorce him if he became sick or something happened to him that put him in a wheelchair or he became bedridden. I would stick with him throughout his life because I love him and that's he promise I made to him for as long as we're married. The only reason I would leave him and/or divorce him is if there was no longer love in our marriage or if he cheated on me. We can withstand a lot and already have. If he became sick, it's that time he'd need me more than ever.

Feelings inside don't break just because the body is broken. So as long as he loves me and only me, then I will stay.

• Either people have been making their own vows or ignoring the part "I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health". You loved them enough to marry but not enough to take care of them when their health fails? Really? Divorce is the easiest solution for some I guess. I really hate it when the SO cheats on their spouse while they're dealing with their health problem.

When SO is caught cheating:
    SO: "Well I didn't expect you to get sick! It's so stressful!"
    Spouse: "Well I didn't expect to be dying so early either or to be married to a douche bag!"

• I will care for my boyfriend even if he became a vegetable (though he did tell me to just pull the plug).

If my boyfriend started getting unhealthy habits, that would have already gotten addressed early on. Smoking, drinking, obesity, drugs - all of this can be sorted well before any life threatening conditions can manifest.

• I feel that as a wife, I would do everything in my power to prevent him from those consequences.

Take my mum for example. She nags my dad whenever he eats a donut and yells at him. She pushes him to exercise. I initially got annoyed at her and told her to mind her on business. She said in front of him that she loved him and didn't want him to die as he is pushing 60. I now understand and I believe I will be like my mum too. She even chastises me when I gain a kilo. Haha.

But if I fail and he does have a disease, I will again do everything in my power to take care of him.
    Why would anyone throw away a relationship like this?

I have been single way too long therefore, would be appreciative if someone loved me.

• Ik it'd be hard but you married them for a reason. Becuz you loved them right? Well just cuz they aren't as healthy as before doesn't change the love you have for one another sure it will be hard but you can get through it just help them be as healthy as they can be and always be there for them

• Not at all if try to change life style a bit but I love them completely. Till death do we part. I'll remain at their side until then. I take marriage seriously

• "For better or for worse" that explains it all. Your loved one gets diagnosed with a disease, let's divorce him/her. If you love someone, you support them and take care of them. If the same happened to you, how would you feel like if they selfishly abandoned you? That's not love.

• What is the point of commitment if you're willing to leave your partner just when they need you most? Leaving before they die because you're afraid of losing them to death just sounds like a cop-out.

• No. That's the problem with a lot of marriages too, they divorce over such stupid things. Health should never be one of the reasons you leave someone.

• Illness can be so debilitating to a marriage or relationship though... More so than we realize. It's nearly impossible to tell how we'd react to an ill partner until it happens. We'd like to think we'd stay and take care of them... But what happens when the illness lasts for years? And our lives change because of it? We want to say we'd stay And love will conquer all but will it really? Will you hold no resentment to your partner at all? If you're quick to say you wouldn't... I don't think you gave the question much thought. No offense

• I feel if you divorce someone over sickness your a asshole plain and simple your wedding vows said "through sickness" and you don't respect the vows that means you weren't in the marriage for love.

• Anyone who would divorce someone for this reason is a horrible person.

• No? I'd just force him to live healthier because I hold that person dear and it won't make any difference when something happens, even the opposite i'd be by their side all the time

• No, that's super shallow.

• If they where slowly killing themselfs with ciggarets or alcohol i would. If its a deseas they can't see coming their way its a diffrent thing.

• No of course not. You chose to be with this person for a reason, you can't just throw it all away like it was nothing. Besides your sick partner needs you more than ever, it would only worsen the situation for him/her.

• It shouldn't happen for that

• I wouldn't be married to someone in the first place so no divorces necessary ✌

• no. it would make me love them more knowing i have a limited time to spend with them. My ex had diabetes but we still dated for over a year

• What? Of course not, I still believe in all of this "in sickness and health" stuff.

• would try to get that person in good shape again.

• no you should love him more give them all your support and try him to have a healthy lifestyle.

• Never... I will make him lead a healthy life... tell him I need him in my life... and if he doesn't change I will lose him forever...

• Er... i depends. There is so much you can do for love. If the person ends up dragging me down and turns themselves into a monster, yeah sure i would.

• No definitely not that is something they cannot control and need your support. If on the other hand they had become this way through a lifestyle choice which could be reversed I would give them the ultimatum of them choosing health and family or be gone.

• I would stay with them, and help encourage them. Because thats what love is right? Didn't you marry them for a reason? to help each other through things?

• No I wouldn't divorce them. If anything I'd help them.

• I wouldn't divorce them because they're dying. But I might divorce them for being lazy. Unhealthy people are lazy. That's very unattractive

• Yes I would

• It's actually not unheard of for people to divorce for that

• More from Girls
    2