Does alimony benefit women or the one who makes the least amount of money?

• Women
  • The one who makes less money
So if a woman makes more than the man they can't get alimony right?

49

Most Helpful Guy

• The courts heavily side with women. That goes beyond how much anyone makes. I have a friend who is a woman lawyer and used to work in family law. She quit practicing law because she hated how badly men got screwed over. I've seen it happen to men over and over again. They can get screwed really bad. It's pretty rare the other way around.

Most Helpful Girl

• I would say that it benefits those who make less money but that tends to usually be women. That doesn't mean that it benefits women more than men---it simply means that in relationships, women tend to make less than the men.

What Guys Said 8

• It is ment for the one who makes less money however they have found that despite this it is almost always rewarded to the mother even in cases where the mother is the primary breadwinner.
    www.forbes.com/.../
    https://www.fathermag.com/808/GenderBias.shtml

• I think alimony is outdated. Alimony originally existed when women were completely dependent on men for income. In today's times, everyone is expected to work and to provide for themselves. Often, I see the more irresponsible party is rewarded alimony, the alcoholic, the drug addict, the lazy cheater, etc. Women do receive alimony more often than men do, since all they go by is income, rather than factor in the behavior of both parties as they should. Child support is one thing, children need to be provided for by both parents. Alimony however is one adult supporting another so that they can enjoy the quality of life they are accustomed to. It's entitlement at it's finest.

• the one who makes the least amount of money... but that's usually the woman.

• I didn't answer because I don't know for sure, but have you EVER heard of a woman having to pay alimony? I haven't, so I'd assume that alimony benefits them.

• Yeah, I have. Plenty of times. It is completely retarded to say that because you haven't HEARD something, then the other must be true. I haven't heard of good fathers where I'm at but I know plenty exist.

God, are a lot of you guys just fucking dumbasses?

• I'm so very sorry that you're fucktarded... lol. Again, you're picking at semantics when they are essentially the same. Because you haven't heard of women paying, then you're assuming that it's most beneficial to women. Because you haven't heard of women paying, then it must be true that it's most beneficial to women. It's an assumption and a dumbass one at that. But that's nothing new.

I'm not defensive. But I am tired of pussies like you and others muddying good men with your asinine conjectures that aren't based on any proof.

"And speaking of words, isn't using the word retard rather juvenile?" I don't know, cunt. Is there a universal rule against that or isn't that up to the individual to determine? And semantics isn't about "words". It's about the meaning of words.

I feel so sorry for good men because guys like you are worthless and only just bring them down by even being associated with their gender. Good luck.

• @RationalLioness

Jesus Christ, what the fuck is wrong with you?

• I have a feeling the courts favors the woman, even if she makes more than the husband.

• only women all the time

• it benefits the person making the least amount of money, which is usually women

• It basically just benefits women. In unusual situations it can help a guy but it's mostly just for women. 3 percent of guys get alimony even though 40 percent of women are breadwinners. Hopefully feminists can work this out for the sake of equality.

What Girls Said 3

• The one who makes less money. There seems to a small 'rise' of single dads and that is stupid. Instead of equality how about just ban alimony or encourage people to stop filing for divorce.

• I googled and found this: www.forbes.com/.../

• who makes the least. which is usually women.

• "Of the 400,000 people in the United States receiving post-divorce spousal maintenance, just 3 percent were men, according to Census figures. Yet 40 percent of households are headed by female breadwinners — suggesting that hundreds of thousands of men are eligible for alimony, yet don’t receive it"- forbes magazine

• @Bandit74 That's interesting, however I was researching more to verify what you where saying and came across this: www.pewsocialtrends.org/.../
      Which shows that even among married couples almost 25% where still the primary earner thus meaning there is still a disparity in how alimony is allotted (albeit smaller then I initially believed) Thanks for the info.