My (ex) boyfriend just told me he was using me the entire time. Advice?

My boyfriend broke up with me tonight and told me he was just using me and that it was just a "fling" to him. He talked to me about marriage, kids, all kinds of things regarding our future. My family was even planning a trip with him in 2 weeks. I'm going to have to explain to my family everything tomorrow. I feel like such an idiot. I feel embarassed and really, really sad. Any advice on getting over this break-up? Kind words? Anything?

54

Most Helpful Girl

• He wanted a reaction, don't give him the satisfaction. Block him out of your life, even if it's just for the next few weeks. You need to heal and being constantly reminded of him isn't going to help. It's far from easy but it is possible. Think to yourself why would you ever want to speak to someone so heartless ever again? Don't tell yourself you can do better, KNOW you can do better.

What Guys Said 4

• Wow, sorry to hear that. :(

You know, I think there is a reasonable chance that he was lying. It's not unusual during breakups to say intentionally hurtful things. Don't beat yourself up over this. Don't berate yourself for being gullible or anything like that. It's not your fault. I'm serious that he might be lying just to be hurtful. He might also lie to make the breakup easier or make a clean break.

• Don't let it corrupt your heart. You did nothing wrong and are not an idiot. You were trusting and un-cynical. He betrayed your love because he has a corrupt heart. Karma is on the way for him and it will not be pleasant. Good Karma is on the way for you and and this experience will fade like a bad dream. But hear this. Do not look back and by no means consider reconciliation if he seeks it. He has done you emotional violence and his memory should end up in the ash heap starting right now.

• You are not the first woman who this has happened to, I am sure your family will understand. Spend some time with them and your friends, they should be able to cheer you up a little.

• that is fked up, sorry you have to go through this. i have my fair share of heartbreaks too. i know you will survived. you are better then this.

What Girls Said 4

• and men wonder why we have trust issues.

• I am sorry for you, that's really not nice. How long were you together?

• Maybe he just eanted the upperhand? Like to end it as him being the dominant one?

• guys are idiots and if he treats you like that, he doesn't deserve you.