Is he playing with my emotions? Ex wanted to date and now wants to take a step back?

My ex and I just started dating again. I wasn't really sure where we stood and haden't heard from him in a couple days so I was a bit emotional and we talked it out. Yesterday I wanted to do something nice and made him a chicken! I brought it over but he had to go right away because of plans he made prior. I don't know what came over me but I started to cry and we ended up talking about things all over again. We were suppose to go kayaking today but it rained and he said he doesn't think he wants us to be dating. Emotions run high and he can't be in a position to keep explaining the same thing over and over again. This was our first week back at grad school so that added to some emotions. He can't be involved in something where our emotions run so high because it will get in a the way of his schooling which he won't let happen and he doesn't want there to be a pattern of "things will change" like there was before. I truly want to take it very slow and go on dates. He knows that but he really thinks I want more. I am feeling emotional because I don't know what is going on and with having a history together it's all I think about. We ended things with he is going to think/consider if we could slowly date, if it's something he can do. I need to take a very large step back... but don't want to lose him. WHAT SHOULD I DO?

10

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 1

• There's nothing you can do that will change his mind.
    He needs time to think.

If you do lose him, there really isn't anything you can do about it.
    Trying to maintain/keep a relationship requires two peoples efforts with similar thoughts and wants.
    If he doesn't want what you want... then not losing him will be impossible.

Best of wishes
    <3
    Even if you two don't work out... continue to focus on your future.
    I know it may not seem like it (because your heart is fully invested in him) but eventually you'll find a great guy out there.
    Just work on yourself first (that's the best thing you can ever do).